• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bleeding hock update: seen the vet

touie

Wise Old Thumper
just found blood in fudge's hutch :( :shock: I've brought him in and checked him over and one of his feet has a bald, bleeding bit on the bottom. How could that have happened as he's kept on grass :?

also is there anything i can do for it seeing as he's an outdoor bunny?

He needs Veterinary treatment as once the skin over the hock is broken infection can easily set in causing serious damage to the tendons and the synovial joint. He needs abx and pain relief and to be kept on clean dry bedding, pref Vetbed til the skin has healed

Janex

ok thanks. I can keep him in he's made himself at home in the house anyway and he already has a vets appointment on Monday !

edit: i have baytril would it be worth my while giving him some or should i wait for the vets advice? :?

touie said:
ok thanks. I can keep him in he's made himself at home in the house anyway and he already has a vets appointment on Monday !

edit: i have baytril would it be worth my while giving him some or should i wait for the vets advice? :?

If I had the Baytril, it was in-date and I was certain of the correct dose I'd give it
But as I am not a Vet I cant tell you to do so........

Janex

ok I will do. Do you know the correct dosage in ml per kg for a 2.5% solution so that I can work it out?

edit: if i remember rightly it's 0.5ml/kg

2.5% Baytril =25mg/ml

The ORAL dose is 5-10mg/kg TWICE a day

As an example a 2kg Bunny would need a Twice daily dose of 10-20mg
which works out as 0.4-0.8ml Twice a day

(Dose ref taken from Textbook of Rabbit Medicine-FHB)

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
2.5% Baytril =25mg/ml

Janex

Jane, have you got this book? if so where did you get it from? I think it would be invaluable for all bunny owners! :D

Bundle said:
Jack's-Jane said:
2.5% Baytril =25mg/ml

Janex

Jane, have you got this book? if so where did you get it from? I think it would be invaluable for all bunny owners! :D

Yes, I do have the book

rabbits511.jpg

:lol:

BUT it is already a bit out of date... :?
As it is expensive (about £60 :shock: ) then I would consider getting 'Notes on Rabbit Internal Medicine' by Richard A Saunders and Ron Rees Davies. That too is pricey, about £40 (I THINK) and its only a paperback :shock: It is quite 'clinical' but was only published last year so the info on differential diagnosis is better.
The Dental section in FHB's Book is superior, that being her speciality I believe :?

Janex

Thanks! I'm gonna have a look round for both of them :D Who is the little cutie sitting next to the book? :love: :love: What an adorable little bunster! :D

Bundle said:
Who is the little cutie sitting next to the book? :love: :love: What an adorable little bunster! :D

That's Felicity!! :D FHB uses that piccie on her lecture tours so Felicity is a bit Famous!! 8) :lol:

Janex

She's gorgeous! I thought she was one of yours posing for the camera :lol: :lol:

I just ordered both books :oops: Got the Textbook of Rabbit Medicine off an Amazon seller for £57 inc. postage and the other one from Tesco for £28.49. Happy Christmas to me!! :lol: :lol: :lol: (well isn't it better to get something you want and is going to be useful?)

right well sorry to hijack my thread again :lol: but getting back to feet... both his feet were bad and i had only noticed 1! The vet said he didn't need antibiotics yet but to put dermosol on them, keep him in for a few days and keep an eye on him. She said it could be because he's so heavy, too much pressure on his feet!

Catch 22, he needs to exercise but his feet are too sore! I'll be buying a treatball for him tomorrow but any other ideas?

Back