• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Joining a run to a hutch.

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
I want to join a run onto one of my hutches. The hutch is not a regular size so I won't be able to get one that will fit straight onto the front.
I think it will be best to join it onto one end so its all in a row IYSWIM!
I want it permanently attatched but so that I can shut it off when I want to.
I thought maybe it would be good to use a cat fflap to let them through?
Has anyone done something like this and do you have photos as I can't quite picture it yet!

We too, in time want to do this .. I think we'll just make a run big enough to go over the top of the hutch, the benefits of this is 1) Its safer, More secure and 2) We can use it seperately if we want to move them onto the grass, and there is no need for 2 runs. Hope that helps a little :) X

That's a good idea.
Thing is I already have a large run for them on the grass that they are in for several hours each day so I really just want to extend their living quaters a bit! Also, I don't want anything in front of the hutch itself as it will make it harder to clean and I need to keep my life simple :lol:

OOh Okay .. I'm not much good at making life simple :oops: :lol: Maybe a cat flap attached at the back of the hutch rather than the front .. still cleaned easy enough then? :? X

yes i think a cat flap would be a good idea, I just have a hole in mine but it would be really handy to be able to shut it off to save them running out and in when i'm trying to catch them :shock:

put the run on the back of the hutch so the hutch faces outwards... makes it easy to clean. The run doesn't have to match the size of the hutch. You can make it so the run isbigger/smaller as long as part covers and you can put a flap in that bit. Just put a board over part of one side and put the hutch in front of that bit and just cut the hole where the flap goes.

Tam

Tamsin said:
Just put a board over part of one side and put the hutch in front of that bit and just cut the hole where the flap goes.Tam

Ahhh! That was the bit that was foxing me! I couldn't work out how I would cut a hole in the wire and make it secure :roll:
Thanks Tamsin!

Here's our 'all in a row' hutch / run. It's 16ft from end to end and there is a top hinged wooden flap in the side of the hutch to access the run. Would think a catflap would work too.

PICT0962.jpg

Back