• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I being too picky?????

KerinTravis

Mama Doe
:shock: Maybe it's just me, or maybe I'm just to used to the wonderful way human food is now labelled with every piece of information you could ever want!!??? :shock:

Anyways, my latest gripe is over labelling of pet foods/treats. I'm a fan of natural treats and herbs etc. for my bunnies, however, since the introduction of things such as excel nature sticks and herbal hay, I've been looking at other commercial treats in stores nowadays too. :oops:

I hate yogurt/chocolate drops, seeded honeyed treat bars and all the other high sugay treats that shouldn't even be on show to tempt pet owners!! :twisted:

However, I have noticed lately that upon seeing a new "treat" and going to see what's in it, that there are often no ingredients listed.... :? I refuse to give my bunnies anything unless I know what's in it, (especially given how sensitive bunnies can be to some foods.....)

Has anyone else ever noticed this before too? Or is it just me being irritated by little things!!!! :lol: :roll:

No, it's not just you.
I refuse to buy commercial treats for my Bunnies. I give them treats from nature-Dandelion Leaves, Fruit Tree twigs, Blackberry Leaves.....

My theory is a Bunny in the wild would not go out and buy a manufactured snack but would think they had really struck lucky if they stumbled upon an Apple Tree.. :wink:
All natural, no artificial ingredients :D

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
No, it's not just you.
I refuse to buy commercial treats for my Bunnies. I give them treats from nature-Dandelion Leaves, Fruit Tree twigs, Blackberry Leaves.....

My theory is a Bunny in the wild would not go out and buy a manufactured snack but would think they had really struck lucky if they stumbled upon an Apple Tree.. :wink:
All natural, no artificial ingredients :D

Janex

Jane, I could have sworn I saw a lionhead with a minilop in front of me in the queue at Tesco's last night!! :lol: :lol: :lol: and before you say anything I don't drink!! :lol:

I go for the natural as well, but I do buy vine balls and stuff them with herbs and readigrass etc etc, but labelling is a problem so I don't but it!

I guess I was just too optimistic about the fact that I thought there may be a slight possibility that the "treat" market was getting a little better.... :roll: I've never even looked at them before, so not ever realised how poorly labelled they are. P@H own brand treats don't appear to give any details on the ingredients at all. :?

I'd have thought that even animal food should have to be labelled to show what's in it. It's awful..... :?

I read the ingredients of a Petshop Cereal Mix for Buns and it contained 'Fish derivatives'....... :shock:

So how many Bunnies go and order Cod and Chips..... :roll:

Janex

I was looking at Guinea Pig food the other day (like my buns, I feed mine pellets, not mix) and I couldn't tell from the outside packaging, what type of feed it was, even the ingredients list was so vague, I had no clue, needless to say, I left it on the shelf!! :shock:

the most 'manufactured' treat i buy my buns is dried fruit pieces from the pet shop but those ingriedients are 100% (insert type of fruit) they are literally cut and dried. i one bought some carrot flavoured biscuit things but to be honest then buns weren't impressed, more interedted in fresh veg so i didnt bother again.

I'm with Jane- I don't buy manufactured treats. Well, except for alfalfa cubes but they have a very simple ingredient list. Favorite treats around here are rolled oats, raisins, and small bits of fruit. I also use fresh apple twigs (when I can get them) and dried willow twigs as treats because the buns think they're super.

Jane- apparently some pellets do have fish in them as a protein source. I want to know why food manufactures are giving fish to my rabbits and corn to my cats! :evil:

At first i didnt know better and used to get the buns the Fast Food Treats. But now ive wised up!! 8) :D

m
xx

Back