• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sad news

ELVIS

Warren Scout
hello...not been on here for a while but have some sad news. :(
my big lad elvis has passed away today. quite unexpectedly. run free biglad x x

also dahlias abcess had returned and is more agressive. we have made a decision to let her go. her op would have been complicated and the vet felt sure the growth would return again. she is at home spending her last few days/ weeks with us but currently is eating and being o.k.

hedgehog passed away a couple of months ago during treatment for an abcess not unlike dahlias.

patch is a little under the weather and two of my girls are a bit snuffly too so i'm keeping an eye on them. bonnie was treated for an abcess at the site of a small wound a few weeks ago and i have noticed that that has come back too and will need further treatment. its only small so hopefully should not be too much of a problem. thankfully the others are ok but having 20(well now eighteen) rabbits is feeling quite tough at the moment. :cry:

hope everyone else is doing ok x

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news..
re your bun with the bad abcess has your vet tried draining it and inserting Antibiotics into the clean hole? a bun I know had a dreadful abcess and was so poorly the outlook was bleak, but with capsules in the wound he fully recovered and is fine!
By the way ..I'm not knocking your vet as obviously don't know them, but if you are prepared to travel a bit can recommend a terrific bunny vet who treated the one with the abcess. PM me if you want the info.

thankyou honeybunny. x
her abcess is on the jawbone and as it has reccured they were saying they would have to perhaps remove some of the bone and pack it with beads. the abcess this time is acting a lot like a tumour they say..dont know what that means really. it is growing really fast though. im a dab hand with abcess after-care but dahlia really suffered last time with the size of the wound as it was painful to begin with, and she hates all the handling.although she is friendly she doesnt like being messed about with. the last op cost about 200 quid and with after care it was closer to 300. she is not insured and this op would have cost quite bit more and would probably only buy her a few months at the most and as much as it pains me to say it, i have to direct that money towards the other animals really who also need it. we are not rich.
She has been ok since the vet visit last friday but as the growth is so close to her windpipe i am watching it Very closely.its at least the size of a golfball :(
i sobbed my heart out when the vet explained what would have to be done and i would say to anyone who is thinking of having more bunnies, only get what you can afford. our eldest cat has to go to the vets next week also. i think she may have hyperthyroidism. my dog (who IS insured btw) requires his jabs, and the 4 cats and he have all had to be wormed and de flead this week. its a very expensive occupation being a mummy to so many beasties and i will never have this many again. not that i mean to sound miserable- i love them all and am commited to them all for the rest of their days but fluffies are not all snuggles. im sure you all know that though.
on the bright side, violet has had a lovely new cage with an apex roof and a nice run underneath with a ramp. a neighbour of my dad had just bought it for their elderly bun and sadly she never made it into the new cage and they kindly said we could have it :)
once the current problems are over bertie will be castrated and we are hoping they will get on well. :)
bertie was the last on the list for castration last year and it just kind of never happened! poor lad. hes about 3 now so i want to get on with it asap.
thanks for the kind comments. i cant believe elvis has gone. it just wont sink in. :(

ELVIS said:
i cant believe elvis has gone. it just wont sink in. :(

Aww Honey .. It's so hard :cry:
Sounds like your having a really rough deal at the moment, Hopefully soon things will start picking up! X

Back