• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WARNING RE:BUNNY TREAT PLS READ IMPORTANT

pepsi

Alpha Buck
Hello i know i havent been on here for a while but i had to let you all know about this.
I know alot of you dont agree with treats and i rarely buy them, but i bought some on Sunday from Asda, Rostak Nibble Sticks. When i opened them to my horror i found they were covered in cobwebs, had spider eggs all over them, three maggots in there-one alive and a alive moth!
I will be sending the treats to Rostak head office and a letter with photos to Asda.
I have put some pics on here for you all to see, IF YOU DO BUY THESE TREATS PLEASE BE CAREFULL im so glad i noticed before giving them to my buns.
P1010008.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010018.jpg

untitled.jpg

*imagine sick smiley here* OMG i would have died luckily i dont buy treats like that for my buns and never will now OMG cant believe those pics shocking and disgusting!

omg thats awful!!! (rummages thro her crisps to check)

deffo a complaint letter is in order ( mind u i complain about everything bad hoping for freebies!) id write to asda aswell! bet you will get vouchers from them.
i find i usually get vouchers through writting letters rather than emailing or phoning. its usually with a responce letter that you find a nice voucher :D

Pantry moths! :shock:

They can be a problem in bird seed mixes, so it's not too surprising they'd be in seed treats. They are nasty, though. Get them out of your house ASAP as it's very hard to get rid of them. My last apartment got infested by some pantry moths from bird seed (for feeding wild birds) and we'd still sometimes find some after a year of treatments!

Oh my god! :shock: How horrible! Not what I wanted to see while eating a Crunchie *insert sick emoticon here*
Thanks for the warning though!!

eeew how horrible, i once opened a tub of turtle food and moths flew out I screamed and dropped it all over the floor :shock: I took the remainder back and exchanged it though!

Ewww how horrible - is that definitely cobweb? It could be mould, sometimes mildewy-like mould grows a bit like that, maybe the packaging had a hole in it and they got a bit damp :?

These webs are also made by the maggots, not by spiders. I found some in peanuts for the bird feeder the other day.
Be careful not to get there moths into your kitchen, I once spent a whole day helping a friend to clean out her kitchen cupboards. The maggots were everywhere, in pasta, rice, cereal, breadcrumbs and in every corner of the cupboard. You can buy traps where the moth gets attracted my pheromones and then sticks to the glue on the paper. Very effective.

i get these food bars for when we go on holiday and when i got home i found out that one was covered in mould

Bavarian Bunny said:
These webs are also made by the maggots, not by spiders. I found some in peanuts for the bird feeder the other day.
Be careful not to get there moths into your kitchen, I once spent a whole day helping a friend to clean out her kitchen cupboards. The maggots were everywhere, in pasta, rice, cereal, breadcrumbs and in every corner of the cupboard. You can buy traps where the moth gets attracted my pheromones and then sticks to the glue on the paper. Very effective.
:shock: :shock: i let the moth go outside, luckliy though becuase it did escape in my kitchen at first.

Im pretty sure they are cob webs, heres a closer pics, and also spider eggs???? :shock:
I have also sent a letter to Asda with photos of the horrible things!
untitled2.jpg

untitled1.jpg

Bavarian Bunny said:
Actually thinking about it the live maggot was kind of cocconed in the web?
But what would the eggs be?

They are indian meal moths and their eggs (the web is from them aswell). They can appear in any pet food and human food too. Because of EU regulations the companies are not aloud to treat the grains anymore so the moths hatch out from them. They are completly harmless and would not have done any harm to your bunnies, they are just not very nice and breed prolificly.

sgprescue said:
They are indian meal moths and their eggs (the web is from them aswell). They can appear in any pet food and human food too. Because of EU regulations the companies are not aloud to treat the grains anymore so the moths hatch out from them. They are completly harmless and would not have done any harm to your bunnies, they are just not very nice and breed prolificly.
So does that mean i wont again any vouchers? :? :wink:
Surely they should of noticed before they packaged them?

If it was human food I would say forget going back to the retailer or manufacturer and go straight with the evidence to the Environmental Health, this way it always gets treated with importance and they will keep a tally of similar complaints.

I'm not sure they deal with pet foods, but it could be worth a try, after all it was not fit for the purpose sold so did not fill the legal requirements!

Back