• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OMG I Wish I Had Not Found This......

only one word - and thts bas***ds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate bloody australians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

was speaking to an Aussie friend the other day who is over here atm.
Apparently it has been really bad over there at times - like you literally can't walk for tripping over buns where he works... :shock:
When it gets that bad, you can kinda understand the need to in those circumstances...

'Everything in moderation'

woodstock said:
When it gets that bad, you can kinda understand the need to in those circumstances...

I certainly CANNOT understand killing them by introducing a calicivirus :evil: :evil:
I understand (although dont like the thought of) Rabbit population control but NOT by deliberatly exposing them to what is effectively VHD.....

:evil: :evil:

:cry: :cry:

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
woodstock said:

I certainly CANNOT understand killing them by introducing a calicivirus :evil: :evil:
[/quote]

Sorry - perhaps i should qualify 'need to' from the above - I meant it in the general form of 'the need for population control' rather than method.

Did I read it right, you can buy it for killing rabbits!
*shakes head* No, no, no, no. This is all wrong.

not that I'm condoning rabbits being killed in this way but since they were introduced to Australia in the late 1700s their population has exploded (having very few predators and lots of yummy grassland to graze on). It's awful but they are a real problem and regarded as pests... Giving them a virus to kill them is not a humane way to killt hem but anything beats snares/gas etc.

Still, the poor bunnies :(

gah introducing a virus, what f it mutates and can get people, or another animal, grrrrrrrrrrr stupid method of population control, not even effective in the long term the ones that survive pass on immunity. what is wrong with normal methods of control, awful though the thought may be shooting or other culling would be preferable to releasing a virus into the population. i wish peopl would see the consequences of doing such silly things, did they not learn from myxi????

not only is it disgusting what if somone decided to release the virus over here..... :? (which you know SOMONE would...you know..fer a laugh'..) :evil:

I know animal population has to be controled, but I am totaly againsed killing animals. Cant we just castrate them!!!!!

nicole said:
I know animal population has to be controled, but I am totaly againsed killing animals. Cant we just castrate them!!!!!

Now that would be some neutering programme!! :shock:

Janex

Trust me from someone who is currently nursing A VACCINATED PET BUNNY through the horrific disease which is myxomatosis (and Im not the only 1 I can assure u), releasing a disease like this is NOT the best way to control the population - as the disease itself them becomes OUT OF CONTROL!! Yes sometimes there may be a need for control of the wild population - but this is not the way to do it and the fact that some people think it is, god has nobody learnt anything from whats happening at the moment with myxi?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it doesnt need some1 to release it deliberatly, even for a laugh - myxi was never (knowingly) deliberatly released in2 Britain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Im so mad now I have to come off of here.

Sorry but I don't quite think you grasp the problem rabbits pose in australia. The australian landscape cannot cope. Aside from economic problems they have a severe negative impact on native wildlife.

This is a bilby. They are endangered and only survive in places without rabbits.

bilby.gif

And yes there are other ways on getting rid of them. And we use ALL of them. [Except neutering which given the size of this place is totally unrealistic]

How do we compare the value of bilbies wombats etc. and the economy with that of rabbits? This is the question we have to ask in australia, and if something has to go, honestly better the rabbits. If there were a better more humane way that would be fantastic. But there is not.

Back