• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why/How did you get into bunnies??

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
Especially directed to Jane :lol:

I had split with a bloke & kicked him out. Wanted something nicer than a bloke to come home to(should've got a slug :lol: ). A colleague at work had a house bun who was treated like their child :shock: He lived completely loose, slept on a bed, ate with them, visited their parents....

So i went to local Garden Centre, saw a fluffy lionhead who had been returned twice due to "aggression" - although the woman who worked there said both homes had had young children & he wasn't suitable. Anyway, away I came with Smirnoff, & my rabbit Starter Kit :shock: & the nightmares began. He chewed EVERYTHING, was sulky, moody, thumped all night, & poo'd everywhere!

6 months later, I decided it wasn't working. We did NOT like each other - I knew he was unhappy, but didn't know why. So I bought him a boy-mate from P@H. Who he proceeded to BULLY!!

a month of unsuccessful bonding attempts (not that i knew it was "bonding") - I googled. Here I am!! Buns were neutered immediately, girlfriends were got & Smirnoff & Joey now live as part of a loose, bonded group of 9.

Smirnoff has only now started eating from my hand. I am not his favourite STILL :oops: but I'm just about tolerated :lol:

I came back with Beatrix from Stapley water Gardens, that's about it really. Had her for a year, decided I wanted a friend for her, found this site and the rest is history. I will be an RU member for two years tomorrow :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well my dad bought my mum two bunnies for xmas one year but they died a few weeks later then i was given a bun when i was 15 as no one wanted him and he died and since then i always wanted more but mum and dad said i couldn't so when i had enough money of my own at the age of 21 i went to a pet shop and saw Hester so i bought her and the bunnie family grew from there!

I had a rabbit when I was little (I went to the petshop with my pocket money and big sister I think I was about 7 she was 10 and they let us take a rabbit :shock: ) had her for years.
Had a couple more when I was bit older that were outside buns.
When I first moved in with o/h just over a year ago I really really wanted a house rabbit. My friend at work had got one and is always talking about hers and introduced me to rabits rehomed (showed me wookie and I fell in love!) and recommended Honeybunnies. I got permission off my landlord for a rabbit. Contacted Jill for and now have two! More if I could but I only have a flat so it's not practical. So glad i joined RU though as despite reading books I've learned so much more on here.

We've always had a rabbit in the family (usually a netherland). For as long as I can possibly remember :D I've literally grown up with them :D

Couldn't be without them now :D :love:

When I was 11 I was like 'mumcanIhavearabbitmumcanIhavearabbitmumcanIhavearabbit' I seem to recall I even left home once because they kept saying no :lol: (I only got about 100 yards up the road) So eventually they gave in and we bought 2 netherland dwarf sisters from a breeder. A few years later someone I knew had an aggressive rabbit that they didn't want...so I adopted her too. Then a few years later I was given another rabbit that the owners couldn't cope with because they'd had a baby. Then I discovered neutering and bonding and have had a chain of rescue buns ever since :D

When I was tiiiiiiiny I always used to love visiting my cousin and her buns (she's 10 years older than me... like a big sister). When I was 6 we moved just down the road from them AND the people living there before us had left a rabbit hutch in our garden!! :D :D THEN my cousins buns had babies and asked if I wanted one... Sooo I asked my mum and dad for a rabbit (well begged them :lol: ) then I got 2 of my cousins buns babies! :D Called them Holly and Thumper... never been without a bun since :D

In 1997 I had to stop work and was in the looney bin for a while ( :oops: ) and when I got out (early release for good behaviour.. :roll: :lol: ) I decided I had to find some sort of purpose to my day to day life. I had a very elderly dog, Gemma, who I knew was on very borrowed time :cry: I could not imagin wanting to go on without her :cry:
One day I went in to a local Petsmart (now P@H) and saw what I now know to be a litter of Black Otter Rex Bunnies :love:
I did what no RESPONSIBLE person should do and bought one. I knew NOTHING about Rabbits... :? :oops:
When I went to bed that night I felt so sorry for Eleanor downstairs on her own :cry: So the next day I went back and bought her Sister Megan.. :oops:
Then the following Wednesday I was back in the store buying food etc (I knew no better :oops: ) and there was one Rex left all on her own :cry: So she came home with me too and I called her Beatrice.
Over the following year I aquired other Rabbits from various sources, mainly from people whose kids had 'got bored'... :roll:
What I did not know, but soon found out is that post neuter Bucks remain fertile for several weeks. The RSPCA neutered the Buck and said he would be 'fine' to go straight back in with his friends.....3 UNSPPAYED Does. He got all three pregnant :shock: :shock: All three gave birth on CHRISTMAS EVE 1998 :shock: :shock: I had not even realised they were pregnant :shock: :shock:
I kept ALL the babies. The rest, as they say, is history!!

Janex

Wow Jane that could so easily have turned into an unwanted bun situation but as it turned out they were very lucky buns indeed! :D

SOAD said:
I came back with Beatrix from Stapley water Gardens, that's about it really. Had her for a year, decided I wanted a friend for her, found this site and the rest is history. I will be an RU member for two years tomorrow :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'd like to point out we're totally not responsible for the fact you know have a dozen or so :lol:

I have always been animal mad, and did have a bunny when I was 4 or 5 (mum and nana helped me obviously!!). She was a moody unspayed doe (spaying I guess was uncommon back then, at least in NI). We think she was deaf and bit a lot, so was not right for us, so she was rehomed to my nana's friend who also owned a single doe.

Then in 2003 I really wanted another pet, a dog and 2 hamsters wasn't enough! So bunnies....started researching and sadly didn't come across this web site and got them from pets @ home. Been smitten with bunsters ever since, hence I am posting this. Ever since joining this forum I have had both spayed, moved onto the hay diet and into a snug shed! :D Plus it promted me to start my own website to make up for all the crappy ones I came across when researching intially in 2003. :wink:

Tamsin said:
SOAD said:

I'd like to point out we're totally not responsible for the fact you know have a dozen or so :lol:

Yes, you should put that in your website rules etc., so that no one will be able to sue you. :lol:

I got my first pair of bunnies when I was about 12 years old, from a distant relative who bred bunnies for their meat. I had to save at least those two from the oven. I got another couple when I was at uni, the buck is still alive and has his own room at my mother's place. Penny and Snoopy are my 3rd couple now.

i had owned rats for 8 1/2 years and loved my boys like children then suddenly literally over night 3 of my 4 babies died (through unknown illness) my last little boy didnt quite seem himself so he was put on baytril and treated like a king he seemed to be getting better then one day i went to check on him and his eye had literally popped out and we had no choice but to have him PTS (he was still too poorly for any treatment and he was clearly in pain) i knew i couldnt have ratties again for a while (just in too much pain) and my friend had some bunnies which i loved to go and play with so i read up about them and decided to get an indoor bun was originally hoping to get a nethie but then saw rogue and it was love at first sight he was a teeny agouti boy and i was told he was a 10 week old dwarf mix so he cam home and was the most affectionate bunny i have ever known unfortunately after a week of havinh him he began to get very poorly and was immediately rushed to the vets where he was diagnosed with GI stasis they gave him meds and tried to stabalize him when he got worse they rushed him through to surgery where he died under GA :cry: :cry: the vet later told us he was younger than we thought we informed the garden centre wher we got him from that he had died and they offered another bun free of charge i said i would need to think about it as i really didnt think i could cope with another bun but we went to look anyway where we were greeted by some lovely '10 week old dwarfs' but they were double rogues size! we spoke to the man in charge who said that they were having trouble with the agoutis (all gone to new homes quite a few being reported with illness) and that they were not from their regular breeder, the new 'batch' were and were a lot healthier i decided to have a quick peek when a striking orange and black bun caught my eye i asked to have a look at 'her' (even the vet thought he was a girl so will forgive garden centre for that) the man just scooped him up and this little bun walked over his arms and hands and allowed me to give it nose rubs so that was how i got teegra, i then joined this site after being introduced to it by wizbit :D and the first post i read was about duchess i was smitten done some 'negotiating' with my parents and here we are now!! It has been a VERY steep learning curve and i am learning something new about them everyday i just wish i had known about this site when i first got rogue as i would have known the signs of GI a little earlier and known a lot more about how to care for him better :cry:

(sorry for such a long post :oops: :( )

I've always loved animals and used to work in a pet shop (that didn't sell animals) but one day a woman came in and dumped a litter of buns on us, she said she was gonna 'get rid' of them if we didn't take them :evil:
We took them and mommy and took them to a rescue centre but I'd grown attached to the runt of the litter who came home to live with me :D
I didn't realise how full of personality buns could be until I took her in and 2 years later my Crunchie is my reason for living :love:

I had lots of bunnies when I was young but it was a long time ago.
Living in rented accomodation, I wanted to get a pet but was fairly restricted. Wanted something that was "interactive" :lol: not just something in a tank.
Started hearing about people having house rabbits, liked the idea, so went to a rescue and got one when my husband was away from home :lol:
Joimed RU shortly afterwards (through the marvels of Google!) . . .and now I have 8!

Jane - I love your story! Three litters on Christmas eve - wow! Appart from the huge shock, what a magical christmas that must have been!

Spacegirl said:
Jane - I love your story! Three litters on Christmas eve - wow! Appart from the huge shock, what a magical christmas that must have been!

I tought I was gonna end up in the Coronary Care Unit... :shock: :shock:

Janex

Good thread :)

My sister and I had two netherland dwarfs from a breeder when we were little so Ive always loved bunnies, but in my adult life....

Earlier this year I was volunteering at a wildlife hospital/rescue and there was a huge old white rabbit who had been there ages and no one seemed to want.

There was a playhouse in our garden left by the previous people so I decided to convert it into a suitable home for 'Bob' as I had decided to call him. But when I went back the following week to say I was ready to have him he had been adopted

So....I decided it would be nice to foster some instead....and the rest most of you know about :cry: :cry: :cry:

Audrey was an unwanted childs pet and Rowan from a rescue.

Jack's-Jane said:
Spacegirl said:

I tought I was gonna end up in the Coronary Care Unit... :shock: :shock:

Janex

:lol: Not quite so magical then??!

Back