• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Washing a Neuter Wound?

anon101

Banned
Anyone on here do this?

I’m having a discussion with a lady on another forum who on her vet’s advice washes the neuter wound on bucks and doe’s with salt water!

I was quite shocked when I read this, as I’ve never heard of routinely washing a neuter wound.

Louise

Vet told me to do it twice - a spay & a neuter where stitches had been removed by buns within 24 hours :roll:

The neuter also went on baytril

I can understand cleaning the wound if there is a high risk of infection.

The lady seemed to think it would be soothing and I cannot convince her other wise.

Louise

Making the wound wet will just provide a more inviting environment for bacteria to multiply I would have thought :?
If the wound was closed with glue it will weaken the adhessiveness. If closed with internal sutures then there is really very little external tissue damage to bathe.
The process of bathing the wound is just more stress for a post surgical Bunny

.....IM 'UNQUALIFIED' O!!!

Janex

Hiya I agree with Jane, wetting a (clean )wound could potentially make it more likely for bacteria to develop in the moist skin.
Risk of infection should be low post neuter as the vet will (I hope) have followed strict hygiene practices for surgery.
I only use saline on bites or wounds that are at high risk of infection. I have only ever used saline on a spay wound once, on the rare occasion local infection begins.
I do give bunnies Baytril post op for neutering , as at least that prevents any nasty internal infection developing, and does seem to speed up healing of the wound site. Vets vary on their view on this though.

Back