• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rosie to vets, how did my vet do?

neeshkabeesh

Warren Scout
I took my little five-and-a-half year old Polish Rosie to the vets the other night because I noticed she was sneezing bad with quite a bit of white snottiness, although she was fine in herself. Anyway the vet listened to her chest, weighed her (same weight as last time), looked at her eyes and ears, felt her over, looked at her bum, listened to her chest a second time, checked her teeth (no comment, they were excellent last time), theres slight staining around her nose and on her forearms from the snottiness.

He said he couldn't hear anything in her chest. He took her temperature and said it was a bit low. He gave her one injection which had Baytril and Metacam in it (its okay to mix them like that is it?) and gave me Baytril oral to give 0.3ml twice a day. I think he mentioned she weighs 1.5kg, so I believe its quite a high dose? I remember I worked it out for her weight and came to 0.2ml. He said keep her inside to warm her up (shes an outdoor rabbit) and keep her in for five days and on baytril for five days and see what happens. He said keep her away from the other rabbits' airspace as if she sneezes they could be ill too. Shes not been happy being inside on her own.

So is this all correct? Baytril and metacam together? And is the metacam necessary? Keep her on her own too?

It sounds like he did a thorough check! I'm afraid I can't be too much help, the only time mine have been sneezing and snotty (Fudge and Amy) the vet couldn't find a cause and it cleared up by itself, being in the house seemed to make Fudge worse though :?

Does she usually live by herself or with a partner?

Thanks for that :)

She has two other cagemates who live outside in a hutch and run with her. They haven't shown any of the symptoms.

She didn't seem unwell in herself when she was outside but now she does, but I'm sure thats just because shes on her own and in a smaller space she seems much quieter now. Not that she made noise before :? but you know what I mean :lol: I'm worried that shes so lonely.

I would have kept them all together personally either all in or all out but it's very difficult to judge without seeing Rosie! Also if she did have something catching chances are the others would have already caught it but seeing as rabbits can't catch colds it would be unlikely IMO!

Yes you can give Metacam (an anti-inflammatory) and Baytril (an antibiotic) together.

Baytril comes in two stengths -2.5% and 5% (25mg enrofloxacin/ml -50mg enrofloxacin/ml)

The dose for INJECTED Baytril is 5mg/kg TWICE a day or 10mg/kg ONCE a day
The dose for ORAL Baytril is 5-10mg/kg TWICE a day

(Ref: Textbook of Rabbit Medicine-Frances Harcourt-Brown)

I would not seperate her from her friends. If she were going to pass on the infection it will have already happened and being on her own will be stressful for her. However it is important you ensure that their accomodation is warm and well ventilated.

My Vet always gives at least a 7 day course of antibiotics. Short courses (3-5 days) can cause antibiotic resistance to occur. My Vet also favours SEPTRIN (Co-trimoxazole) over Baytril for repiratory tract infections

Hope your Bunny is soo better

Janex

Thanks for that. Do you know why he may have given metacam at all? He said it was a pain-killer, I know its an anti-inflammatory but what might be inflamed? And I thought metacam was only used when the animal appeared to be in pain but I told him she was acting as she normally does.

I thought she would have already passed on the infection to my other rabbits so I wasn't really sure about separating her.

I'm not really able to have all three inside because their hutch and run is too big to place inside, their hutch is too small to have them in full-time and Rosie is in an old indoor rabbit cage I definately wouldn't put another rabbit in with her let alone two theres just not enough room. Should I put Rosie back outside with the other girls? I could put some boxes in their bedrooms and on a night I cover it with a big piece of carpet and cover that with a shower curtain to keep the rain off. We recently moved the hutch to a warmer area but I could cover the back of it so the wind doesn't blow through the sides? In the morning I do find all three of them squished into one bedroom, but during the day she does have the tendancy to sit in the wide open :?

I thought five days was a bit short for antibiotics. I think I'll just continue it until it finishes, he didn't give me a huge amount but must have given me more than five days worth just in case. Or do you suggest trying for seven days?

She had the same problem around this time last year, but I was registered at another vets then. They prescribed baytril in water so when I got home I looked up the dose and gave her 0.2ml twice a day orally instead, without the water obviously, and she got better. That must have been at least a week she was on it then.

This is long sorry.

Edit: just looked it up and it was actually January was the last time she was given Baytril for a runny nose.

Back