• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

claw been bitten off lots of blood

touie

Wise Old Thumper
:shock: :( Just went to shut Sugarplum and Splodge up and spotted a red and white rabbit hiding under the hutch :shock:

I'm guessing that she put her paws up on the mesh of Toffee and caramels run and that Caramel has bitten her paw because I found a pool of blood close by :evil:

I have got them in and tried to have a look but Sugarplum's growling and kicking if i go near it, she won't keep still long enough for me to assess the damage! Though i think it's stopped bleeding while she's resting so can't be too bad.

I'm going to try and look again when she's calmed down, but in the mean time thought I'd ask on here what i can put on it to a) stop it bleeding and b) stop it getting infected?

you can get something from the vet to stop bleeding ....sorry cant remember what its called :oops:

claws always seem to bleed lots . as long as its stopped now i wouldnt worry too much .

you could bathe it with a salt water solution if bun doesnt mind but if it gets knocked in a struggle it may start bleeding again .

ok thanks. I think it's stopped now thats what i was worried about , knocking it again while trying to have a look!

Caramels such a monster to other rabbits :(

Bobby ripped his claw off once (he kicked out when I picked him up and got it caught :cry: I felt so guilty :( ) but it stopped bleeding fairly quickly and he was fine. I wasn't - panic stations!

i used to used cornflower on the rats claws if they bled also styptic (probably spelt wrong) powder is used for this but not sure if it is ok for bunnies??

thanks everyone. It's stopped bleeding now so fingers crossed she as she doesn't knock it now :shock:

The only thing you'll have to be careful of is if she tries to chew it as it heals :shock: Bundle caught her toe when she was little - the damage was only very slight but it must have itched as it healed and she chewed it right down to the bone overnight and ended up having her toe amputated :shock: :shock:

Watch her like a hawk because bunnies are unfortunately very prone to chewing at injuries. First sign of any worrying at it and take her to the vet. Don't want to worry you here but I'd hate for you to get up one morning and see what I saw :shock: :shock:

Back