• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD LIMP

Did your bunny develop a limp following vhd Vaccination

• Total voters

bunnytales

Mama Doe
Howdie Folks

Sorry I've not been around for a wee while - work pressures I'm afraid :roll: but I do hop in and have sneaky looks at everything happening and I'm in touch with mad Adele to catch up on all the Sanctuary News.

Just wondered if you kind bunny folks can help wtih this one for me.

I mentioned to my great bunny savy Vet yesterday about the feed back on here regarding VHD and the Limp some bunsters develop - Zak sometimes does and sometime doesn't get this reaction but he has a very distinct front paw limp this morning and is generally down in himself after the Vaccination. I know this generally only happens for around 48 hours following the vaccination but it would be interesting to be able to give my Vet some feed back as the amount of times this happens as I've read a few posts on here recently which suggests this might be becoming a more frequent occurance.

Thanks Bunny Folks.

Only had one who developed a problem a few years ago. I have a feeling it is more to do with how it is administered. I suspect the limp develops if the vaccine hits a nerve as it is being given.... :? I tend to inject off centre in the scruff now and out of 38 Buns none have had a problem.

Janex

My Minnie-the-Minx had a limp from it about 4 or 5 years ago but all of my others have been fine. My vet also injects off-centre and notes down which side she's done it, so that if a limp or irritation occurs, she can see more easily if it looks as if that was the cause.

My vet had never had it reported to him when I asked about it and none of mine have ever got it. He too thought it was where it hit a muscle block or nerve when administered.

Caz

Thanks for the replies folks - this is really interesting.

Zac is definately feeling a little sore this morning and not himself at all - although he has been like this once before following Vhd Vaccine for 48 hours so I'm not duly worried at this stage.

- I've popped him on some Metacam, following a chat with my Vet this morning but she says she will be really interested in the feed back from you great Bunny Folks and will mention it at the next Rabbit Conference she goes to - she thought initially it may be that folks perhaps don't massage the area where the injection is popped in which she recommends doing every 3/4 hours following vaccination - but this was definately done for Zac yesterday and he has still developed the limp, but as you folks mention here the direction of the injection into the muscle may play a major role also with this particular vaccine.

Again interesting that both Buffy and Cagney have the same Vet, same Vaccination and have never developed the limp following vaccination.

Perhaps Zac is just being a bit of a male bunny whimp :lol: :lol:

I'll keep checking in for all your comments.

Thanks Guys and Gals.

Bundle was ok after the very first VHD jab but on her first booster she had a very bad reaction. She could barely move for 2-3 days - seemed really stiff and in pain and went off her food. It took me all my time to persuade her to eat anything at all. I took her back to the vet who said that some rabbits did have extreme reactions but just to keep an eye on her and if she stopped eating and pooing to bring her back. She was better after about 3 days but the whole experience was not good.

When I took her for her 2nd booster I told the vet about what happened the last time and they advised not to get the booster done as they said that severe reactions were likely to get worse. They also said that the fact that she had reacted so badly meant that she was fully immune from the initial jab and that the booster was causing her immune system to go into overdrive. They also said that as a house bunny who never goes outside she was at minimal risk of contracting the disease.

I'd be very interested to get people's comments on this as obviously everything I've read on here says boosters should be done annually because the disease can be carried on clothing, food etc. I've spoken to two other vets since then (from different practices) who both agreed with the first vet, so I'm in a real quandary about whether to continue with boosters or not. Advice and comments welcome please :D

Bundle said:
They also said that as a house bunny who never goes outside she was at minimal risk of contracting the disease.

I'd be very interested to get people's comments on this as obviously everything I've read on here says boosters should be done annually because the disease can be carried on clothing, food etc. I've spoken to two other vets since then (from different practices) who both agreed with the first vet, so I'm in a real quandary about whether to continue with boosters or not. Advice and comments welcome please :D

Hiya Bundle - Yep I know how you feel - it can be a real dilema re Boosters - I thought Zac's reaction was a one off until it happened again.

I think you have to assess the risks really and make as much of an informed decision as you can, and do what you feel is best for your bunny.

I've gotta say that I really am now in two minds wether to have Zac vaccinated again for VHD - but although he is a well pampered :lol: :lol: House Bunny I do worry that I do occassionally come into contact with other bunnies through rescues, neighbours etc, therefore perhaps putting him at risk and even a vet visit may be risky if a bunny has been in for consultation who is a carrier but I think I might be being just a bit paranoid now :roll:

But thankfully its not a decision I now need to make until his next booster next year :roll: :roll:

Florence and Charlie developed a limp but i didn't make the connection with the vaccination until Mandy posted something. So two out of 2 out of our 5 buns developed the limp. Willow is going for vacs soon so I'll see how he reacts and mention it to the vet as well.

Thanks for your responses folks, I've had a chat with my bunny savy Vet this morning about the results and Zaks reaction and she's immediately put in an "Adverse Reaction" form to the other Vets in the practice to make them aware, they can then at least make all us bunny mad mums and dads aware to check bunnies just to make sure there is no reaction following vaccination, they can also then get a good measure about how many times this is happening.

The reports also go back to the manufactuers - she said to let all you great bunny folks know that its always worth mentioning this to your Vets and asking them to do one of these "Adverse Reaction" forms so the manufacturers get consistent feed back.

Deborah also mentioned the new vaccine which will shortly be available and we certainly think as Zak has reacted two out of three times to this that we will consider using this one instead just to see if there is any difference.

Thanks for all your help on this folks - whilst the percentage was quite low in the result - cetainly our Vet Practice felt the information feedback was great and well worth while monitoring further.

Over and Out.

Back