• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear shaking

My poor Lola (see earlier post http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=34046) seems to be unlucky at the moment.

For the past few days I have noticed her shaking her ears quite violently - but only for a few seconds. She doesnt seem to be scratching her ears frequently or anything like that.

I had a rabbit who had head tilt and she doesnt seem to be displaying the same symptoms as that so I'm not sure what it is.

Could it be ear mites? I've looked in her ears but cant see anything but she's a frenchie so she's got massive ears.

Any ideas?

It may well be mites or sometimes a pesky bit of wax makes their ears itch. Your Vet will be able to examine Lola's ears and prescribe appropriate treatment

Janex

typical bunnies! i'm off away for the weekend tomorrow so i guess that's my beer fund depleted before i even get there :(

taking Lola off to vets tonight - hopefully that should solve the problem

i have 3 other bunnies though - are ear mites contagious or do they tend to just stick to the "host" bunny? do i need to take them all (and thus cancel the weekend away due to destitution!)

still not as bad as when i went away in Sept for the week and was saddled with a massive vet bill 4 days before i went - after Lola almost severed Gus' manhood in a fight involving spring greens

sarahbarnsley said:
typical bunnies! i'm off away for the weekend tomorrow so i guess that's my beer fund depleted before i even get there :(

taking Lola off to vets tonight - hopefully that should solve the problem

i have 3 other bunnies though - are ear mites contagious or do they tend to just stick to the "host" bunny? do i need to take them all (and thus cancel the weekend away due to destitution!)

still not as bad as when i went away in Sept for the week and was saddled with a massive vet bill 4 days before i went - after Lola almost severed Gus' manhood in a fight involving spring greens

Aww, Thats a bit poopy :( When Till had ear mites Charlie didnt catch them, even though they lived together and were stuck together :lol: X

sarahbarnsley said:
For the past few days I have noticed her shaking her ears quite violently - but only for a few seconds. She doesnt seem to be scratching her ears frequently or anything like that.

my 2nd rabbit, Happy Bunny, had that problem. When you use your hand to rub the base of her ear, did you hear any sound? Just gently massage the base of her ear for a while, if you hear sound, it's wax.

Get a vet to get it out, or use cat liquid wax to drop some in her ear, and massage the base, as the liquid absorbed at the bottom, you'll see large bits of wax come out. You can help a bit carefully w/ cotton swab too.

a couple of my rabbits give their head a shake when they are pleased - if I let them out or bring some food for example - Could it be just a 'mini-binky' like this?

Back