• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Have i done the right thing?

Last night when i got home from work Lola, our frenchie, was thumping upstairs. She never normally stamps unless she is upset.

I went to calm her down and then to feed her SS in her treat ball - something she loves. She refused to eat the SS which worried me. I brought her downstairs and offered her some carrot - she refused to eat this. She then sat hunched up in the corner of the living room. Normally she lies flat out snoozing.

We put her eye drops in as sometimes her sore eyes upset her. I felt her tummy and it was quite hard so i gave her a bit of a tummy rub - it has made noises on and off since we got her 10 months ago but giving her SS and lots of timothy hay seem to have helped it. It was making rumbling noises. We gave her 2ml of infacol (the first time i've used it) and within 20 minutes she had perked right up.

She then ate all her carrot, all her SS, and LOTS of timothy hay. I decided against giving her any more veg that night and just gave her extra timothy at bed time.

This morning she fussed over me when i put the SS in the treatball so i knew she was feeling better - and she's had a bit of spring greens.

Did i do the right thing giving her the infacol? It seemed to work. I would have taken her to the emergency vets if she hadnt got better.

Her tummy is still making rumbling noises but she is a lot livelier and eating well so i just massaged her tummy again this morning - when i left for work she was fine and Gail is at home today. Should i do anything else now - she loves spring greens but should i keep her off greens etc for a while?

thanks

PS I wasnt sure what could have caused her tummy to be like this but we normally give them lots of timothy and simply grass and we ran out of both of them monday so they had a change of hay for a couple of days until the order arrived - could this have contributed to it?

Also - she has done plenty of droppings - same huge size as normal

I would have done (and have done in the past) exactly the same thing. Infacol and some tummy rubs - if it doesn't sort them out after a couple of doses - then to the vet!
Both Bobby and Salt have been like this in the past, usually after cabbage - so they don't get fed that any more. The last time Bobby had this, I could hear no sounds and he didn't respond to the infacol or tummy rubs, so he had to go to the vets for meds.
It may be best to get an appointment at the vets and have a general health check - especially teeth.

she only had her teeth checked 2 weeks ago and they were fine - no spurs or anything :D

if she is still ok tonight then i'll cut down on the greens and give her even more hay - when i left for work she had redeveloped her big frenchie appetite (o the panic when she wouldnt eat yesterday) so hopefully she will stay well

i am hoping it was a one off thing - but ill keep a close eye on her - she lives in the room next to our bedroom so at least ill be around all night

but i will take her to vets if she seems ill again - we never seem to be away from their with 4 rabbits! in fact i dont even need to give my name anymore when i ring up as the receptionists all know me & the bunnies very well now!!

thanks again for the advice - at least i know i did the right thing :D

Back