• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just had Jack spayed

buddabun

Warren Veteran
Hi all
Jack is back from he vets and feeling very sorry for herself.. I know you're supposed to keep them as warm as possible but I also know rabbits prefer cooler temps to heat... is keeping her cage (nicely stocked with fluffy blankets) in a spare room ok or should i put the radiator on? it's not a cold house but i want her to be as comfortable as possible..

Also is it a big deal that she's not felt like eating since she's been home. She must have eaten at the vets as they wouldnt let her home before she'd eaten so should i be worried??

I just want to take care of my little girl the right way!

thanks

Sounds like you are doing just right so far.
When my Nala was spayed she didnt eat for 24hrs after i brought her home.. she didnt eat at the vets either. I was told that if she was eating/pooping after 24hrs to ring the vets again for advice. I surrounded her with lots of tempting veg/herbs/pellets and hay in a tube and put a bowl of water next to her. I did syringe feed her a little mushy pellets and water the following morning as she hadnt had anything herself by then but by the afternoon she suddenly started eating on her own.
Hope she is feeling better soon

For warmth, try giving her a sock filled with dry rice and heated in the microwave. It holds the heat well and is nice and soft to snuggle with. Localized heat like that can help ease the soreness and help her heal a little faster.

How long has she been home? It took Mocha about 24 hours to start eating and I was starting to panic. Fey and Sprite started nibbling a little an hour or two after they got home. I've found that they really do like when you hold food for them, that's how I got all three eating again. They might not touch it if it's in a bowl, but if you're holding that veggie or piece of hay for them it's "special" and they're more interested.

I had two girls spayed on Tuesday. Luckily for me they have eaten and drunk well since they came home on Tuesday evening.

I’ve got a probiotic in there water Avipro Plus as well as some homeopathic Arnica and a few drops of Echinacea. Probiotic to help there guts get back to normal after a GA, Arnica helps reduce brushing/swelling and the Echinacea boots there immune system to help keep infection at bay.

There on vet bed and have a heat pad at night as our house is cold.

Louise

Thanks for all your replies!!
She's been back since about 5pm yesterday and has onyl nibbled at one strand of hay so far. I rang up at 2pm yesterday and they wouldnt let her come home as she hadn't eaten so I'm assuming they wouldn't have let her home if she hadn't eaten.

I had a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel yesterday but she wasnt a fan. Will definitely try the sock idea though... i have a wheat bag which i use myself but it's infused with lavendar so I don;t thinkt he bunnies will appreciate it!

If she's not eating this afternoon will start trying to feed her pellet-mush...

Thanks guys will keep you posted!!

try dandelion leaves. It was all Bella fancied eating for a couple of days. She ate 1 or 2 every couple of hours. She mainly stayed asleep under the dining room table for 2 days. By the end of day 2 she was hoping about a bit and starting to munch on other veg and hay.

she had some celery leaves last night... i then gave her the leaves still attached to the stalk and managed to persuade her into some nibbles. later in the evening she started eating by herself (including her stitches the little scamp) and is acting much more normal today...bless her.

Thanks for all your help and humouring me when I'm sure everything was totally normal. Very gracious of you all :)

Back