• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

After spay advice

rachael1969

Warren Scout
Hi,

My two buns are booked in for their spay next Thursday, i have the Friday off to look after them.

I just wondered if you could give me some advice on what i need to take with them to the vets, what they need when they come home? I was thinking of buying a large dog bed and putting some vet bed in there - and then just resting them next to the fire? will this be ok?

Do they need any special food buying or just what they are on now? Will they be quite active after the op?

Sorry for the 101 questions - but thank you for reading it

Hi,

In my experience every bunny is different. Some sail through it others take it much harder.

Make sure they have had pain relief and gut stimulant at the vets before coming home. Your vet will want to see them after a few days to check that everything is ok.

Vet bed is a good idea but keep them warm but not too hot.

We will all be here to help with advice on the day if your not sure.

Hope all goes well

Maureen

Hey there!
One main thing not to do when they are done, is to Panic! - knowing from first hand experience that you will end up being worse than them.

They will be kind of unhappy when you go and pick them up, they need to be kept warm and in quiet - so it sounds like you have got that covered... Dont fret if they dont eat straight away, mine didnt... if they have had nothing at all to eat or are not doing any pooping whatsoever by friday mid morning, I would then call the vet.

Sometimes if you think they really do need it, you can help stimulate eating by syringe feeding pineapple juice, and they might like to have fruit/veggie baby food....

but it could take nearly a week for them to be back to normal.

Hope that helps!

Back