• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What breed is Charlie???

buddabun

Warren Veteran
Right. I've had Charlie for over a year and he was sold to me as a mini lop. He's significantly smaller than a mini lop but not as small as my Nethie (who is about average sized for her breed I think).

I spent ages looking up his colouring and there's a breed called the Blanc de Hotot (or just Hotot) but they are much larger (bred for meat), with 'upright' ears, not lopped. He's also a different shape, fluffier (and therefore rounder) round the face and not as angular

SO, I've kind of concluded that he's a cross between a mini lop, a hotot and something else because nothing explains the size of him.

I'm including a photo of him with Jack (nethie) and my friend's bunnies to show the difference in sizes. She has a dwarf lop (the spotty guy) and a mini lop (she's purebred so will be about the standard size) which is the fawn one. Charlie is the white boy!

allfourofthem.jpg

Here's one of him next to my Nethie:

charliejack.jpg

And ONe alone to see his shape

DSC_0587.jpg

Sorry if there's too much info but am really curious as to whether people have ideas why he's so small!!!

Hmm he def looks like a hotot, but mini lops are reeeally tiny. He looks pretty mini lop sized to me :? Ive met nethies the same size as Boo (mini) :wink: They're all lovely :) X

... Just looked at the pics again and i dont think hes the right shape for a mini :? X

He looks mini-sized to me. Did you know that there are also Dwarf Hotots? They're the same size as Nethies. I have two- Fey and Sprite in my siggy. I'd guess that some breeder is cross-breeding Dwarf Hotots and Mini Lops to get the color into the Mini Lops.

By the way he's gorgeous!!!

Yep, I'd agree with a cross. He's probably a mini lop with a bit of hotot in his ancestry judging by the eye circles. Unless you buy a pedigree bun from a breeder it's likely the rabbit you get will have a bit of a few breeds in or at least not conform to breed standards on size.

Tam

aww thanks guys!
I'm not bothered by him being a mix - i always knew he was and I wouldn't change him for the world (would much rather have him than one bred especially for me).. he really is smaller than your average mini lop as he's met a few and theyve all been bigger (sorry to push this point). THe little nethie hotots are SOOOOO cute with their teeny ears!!!!!!!! Maybe it was a nethie/hotot mix crossed with a mini lop like you say.

mystery boyyyyy

**********PS Happy thoughts for little Jack who has jsut woken up from her op (spaying) but isn't eating yet.... Dig in Jackie!!!************

just out of curiosity where did you get him from ?? i think i know where he came from... he's a mini lop ;) a breeder i know has been working on creating the hotot marked mini lop, the type's just not quite there yet, and he looks like one of these buns, at the last time i saw them... he looks about the right size for a mini lop, remember they should only weigh3lb 4oz... i breed mini lops and nethies and the size difference is about right. The ones found as pets tend to be bigger, as most breeders rehome larger buns as pets

i got him from a little pet shop in Beeston, Notts and they had laods of the little critters. I picked him cos he snuggled up so nicely in my arms when i held him :love:

And thanks, I like to think he's gorgeous and he has a wonderful temprament, he's washing Jack right now (she had her spaying yesterday and is feeling miserable). He didnt eat all of yesterday because he missed her poor chicken!

Rabbits are awesome. I don't understand how so many people think they're just soul-less stuffed toys and stick them alone in a hutch 24/7. They are such characters!

yep thats 100% what he is ;) as she's the only person in the country with them and i know she lives there and they go to a pet shop :( then yep thats what he is and very lovely ;)

oh wow fantastic!! so what does she cross? mini lops and hotots and nethies?

Aww how exciting that you know where i got him!!! i have to say everyone who's seen him has never seen anything like him before... makes Jack feel left out lol but she's very beautiful also :love:

he was sold as a mini lop and is even smaller than that!! So dwarf lop would be huge!!

When he was a baby the eyeliner looked even stronger - I had been umming and arring about getting a bunny foir ages and I just couldn't hold out any nlonger when I saw him.. Likewise when I got Jack. Although my hubby was not impressed when I came home with yet another bunny when he saw her he fell in love all over again lol

Baby CHarlie:
charlie.jpg

And Jack my beautiful girl (didn't want her to feel left out with all these photos of Charlie!!!)
jackupright.jpg

awwwww I love thm bunnies tht look like their mascaras all smudged round their eyes, it's so cute :) (way cuter thn it is whn I get up aftr a nite out and my mascars all smudged round mine, lol :lol: )

jack is GORGEOUS lol...

erm well she breeds pure mini lops (one of the best breeders in the country) but is very keen on creating new colours so he came from, origionally, a blanc de hotot X mini lop (no nethie in there at all) but has been mini X mini for several generations... looks like the type is getting up there.

how much does he weigh? you keep saying hes small for a mini, but to me he looks average-large, just a bit thinner set.... some of my minis are tiny...

I haven't weighed him in a while and he's too contented to pick up atm but last time i weighed him he was only just over 1kg (hopefully he hasn't gained too much weight the little fatty lol).
he was 300g when i got him and you could fit him in the palm of your hand like a shakespearean actor holding a skull!!!! THey grow up so fast.

Back