• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore hocks

I have two black rex rabbits, Kiwi & Melody. Kiwi has got sore hocks,the vet said to put them both on soft bedding as he is finding the chopped barley straw, hard on the pads. Got them some Soft Bed, they have taken it out of their sleeping quarters, spread it out on the main area, now looks like a big feather mattress. Both in the middle. :eek: :roll:
Any other ideas please. :idea: :idea:
alan

re:sore hocks

Yes, i have already read the report, they are on at least eight inches deep of chopped barley straw, changed twice a week (sleeping ) the main upper floor refreshed with hay every day, to a level of equal height. Loo changed twice daily,' these live at the Ritz' free run of 8 foot of lawn and access to the kitchen. The vet said it is probably the Rex breed, but why only one, not Melody. Hers are fine. :roll: :roll:
alan

I have the same problem- Audrey has sore hocks and Rowan is fine.

I think thats because Audrey wasnt treated very well in her previous home so the problem already existed before she came to me.

How bad is it? If the skin is broken this is more of an issue and she will probably need antibiotics.

Audreys are just bald now, and what Ive found has really helped is Fuciderm cream, available from the vets. It is soothing and antiseptic and I just apply it once day.

Hello Alan...nice to hear from you again! :lol: Would love to see some pics of Melody..one of her brothers, Piper, has his pic on here regularly.

As for sore hocks..I can't suggest any more than you are doing...If Kiwi's claws are kept short and he's not overweight (both these things can lead to pressure on the pads)..and you are giving them deep and soft bedding..then he might just be prone to it :?
Do they run on concrete area at all? This can aggreivate hocks...

kiwi-sore hocks much better.......

Hi Jill, I will try and get pics of Melody & Kiwi online soon. The sore hock situation is getting better for him now, on 'safe bed' and an antisepic powder, to dry up and to stop infection, one foot now ok and fur growing back. They really like the 'safe bed' Melody spreads it out like a mattress for them both. The vet weighed them and said the weight situation was fair, not to put more weight on though, did not give us anything for his feet! We just tried to stop him getting his feet too wet on the grass by putting cardboard under their playhouse, no sawdust/shavings in the toilet tray and dried them after his playtime outside. :) :) alan

kiwi-sore hocks much better.......

Hi Jill, I will try and get pics of Melody & Kiwi online soon. The sore hock situation is getting better for him now, on 'safe bed' and an antisepic powder, to dry up and to stop infection, one foot now ok and fur growing back. They really like the 'safe bed' Melody spreads it out like a mattress for them both. The vet weighed them and said the weight situation was fair, not to put more weight on though, did not give us anything for his feet! We just tried to stop him getting his feet too wet on the grass by putting cardboard under their playhouse, no sawdust/shavings in the toilet tray and dried them after his playtime outside. :) :) alan

I use a light covering of sudocream on my Rex`s feet, its a very good barrier cream may be good to put on before they go out on the wet grass.

I also keep rubber matting down on the concrete runs with towels on top to make it soft under foot.

I swear by sudocream for my son as a baby, horse and rabbits :D , a very handy item to keep in the animal first aid kit

Back