• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Bun outside - For Holiday Boarding

Alice

Warren Scout
Off on Hols mid december and am really starting to worry about little Myla.

She is 12 weeks old at the moment and we have had her inside since we got her and she lives in the kitchen. Her and Roo are booked into Boarding when we go away in december for 2 weeks, but where they board they will be in stable blocks and I don't think they are heated. Roo is fine as he's an outside bun but Myla hasn't really got a very thick coat yet so bit worried she is gonna be cold.

She has been out in the garden at the weekend and it was pretty chilly then and she loved it, its hard to get out the back door without her trying to sneak out these days, but for 2 weeks ????? hmmmm.

I was thinking of taking her heat pad and asking for extra straw in her area, but do you think she will be warm enough or should I try and make other arrangements, my friend could have her but as she is pretty free range in the house we are worried she could easily sneak out if a doors left open at their house by mistake if they are not used to her ways, like we are.

I have been trying to leave the heating off in the kitchen in the evenings so its pretty cool in there, specially as tiled floor, so as to acclimatise her a bit.

What do you reckon am I just worrying too much, hate leaving the buns, but I sooooo need this holiday ????

I would say that it's too cold now to move an indoor bun outside as they won't have built up their winter coat. Can you find somewhere to board her indoors or in a heated shed? If not a friend might be the best option.

I agree with Kayjay. It is way too cold to put a usually indoor Bun outdoors in mid December. I think it ESSENTIAL she be housed indoors

Janex

I also think the little one should be indoors when you go on holiday.
With her being indoors she will not have yet got her winter coat.
It is cold now on an evening so mid December could be even colder.

Eeek, looks like I will need to make other plans then....anyone know anywhere either in Hertfordshire or surrey (Guildford area) or near Gatwick that has heated sheds and has availibility.

There's a place near me that is a cattery & small animal boarding place. When Alice was last there and not too well, she offered an actual cat pen to me which was heated...and thoroughly cleaned first! Might be worth asking around and seeing if there are any bunny friendly catterys.

Thanks Ali,

I did a little call round this morning, but haven't managed to find anywhere yet, or places I did find they would be kept in hutches, and being quite free range in my kitchen I would hate for her to be couped up for 2 weeks. I have tried some catteries but to no avail yet :(

Back