• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting fur white again

bunnies

Alpha Buck
How do you get the fur around the bottom area white???? I have been using baby wipes and then drying with flannel as the fur is a bit of a yellow colour.

Its not really bad but I would like the fur to be white again.

would a dilution lemon juice work? it shouldnt be harmfull to the buns if they lick it off though i suspect it would be drying to the skin :?
alternativly we used to rub a litle chalk into the horses socks to make them look whiter for a show...

Snowflakes mummy said:
If you find a way let me know! lol
I personally think its probably impossible- sorry!
Sorry but it is possible... Tottis fur is pure white everywhere.... even down under :wink: I don't have to do anything, he does a great job of keeping himself spotlessly clean.

If fur is staining yellow, the bun must be sitting in wee so I would review my hygiene methods in that case

I change the litter trays daily and do a full muck out in the morning and skip out last thing.

I suppose he could be sitting in his litter tray, but not sure how to stop that?

I find the stain goes if you brush the stained end with either a soft bristle brush or a slicker brush - it grooms away the stained fur. :D

Smudge's rear end is very clean too so can't really help I'm afraid. Goodness knows how he does it, but even his little feet are pretty clean :lol:

bunnies said:
I change the litter trays daily and do a full muck out in the morning and skip out last thing.

I suppose he could be sitting in his litter tray, but not sure how to stop that?
Mmmm, difficult one as you don't want to stop him sitting in his litter tray Extra hay in it maybe? What do you use in the tray to absorb the moisture :?: Sorry for repeating myself here :oops: but since Brody was diagnosed with arthritis, she can't position herself properly and was gettng urine scald. Since I changed the litter tray to the following, she's been spotlessly dry :thumb:
newspaper topped with megazorb topped with a piece of vetbed topped with hay.
good luck

my lot stay pretty clean.. except for one of Fifi's back legs. I dont know what she does but it looks like she's cocked a leg and peed down her other leg :shock: Its always yellow. I use litter trays with wood based litter topped with hay. someone does wee on the lino, im convinced its Nala but i guess it could be Fifi. The bottoms of all their feet are yellow but then if i dont get to the puddle quick enough they all walk in the wee. :?

I've been watching this one with interest to see if someone knows the answer as Bundle tends to be the same. I use wood based litter and hay in the litter trays and do a full clean out every 2-3 days and a scoop out twice daily. The litter trays are changed every other day. It's strange becaue Weedie is spotlessly clean - has been ever since I got him and used the litter trays without being taught, but Bundle used to be a bit of a dirty mare! :lol: she will use the litter trays in the house but likes to pee right in front of them in the run :roll: It seems that Weedie is teaching her to use the trays properly because there is less and less pee appearing in the run but she still never gets white underneath. Short of bathing her I don't really know what to do but it's totally the wrong time of year to do that :roll: When I worked at the vets we used to use diluted hydrogen peroxide to clean up white fur on dogs after operations but I wouldn't really like to use it with bunnies :? I have come to the conclusion that it's down to the individual bun's hygiene and grooming habbits - Weedie spends far more time cleaning himself than Bundle does - she's always too busy playing and eating rather than grooming :shock: :lol:

Back