• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sprout tops - Are they ok for the bunnies???

I was in Tesco at lunch time and they had a bag of sprout tops. (for those who haven't seen Sprouts grow they are kind of leafy things from the top of the plant - I grew them once but they got eaten by catterpillers). They were above the greens in the veg section.

I've not seem them before, they were 99p for quite a large bag and I wondered if they are ok for the rabbits to have?

No idea what I would do with them if I wanted to eat them, but there you go...

Oooh seems like they are a posh food!!!
Once the preserve of street markets and allotment growers, sprout tops are now one of the most fashionable vegetables in the foodie world, along with other rediscovered brassicas like curly kale and purple sprouting broccoli. You'll now find them on smart menus all over London

thats interesting about them being posh food. I brought them for my bunns and thought to myself 'who'd want to eat the tops of sprouts' :? :lol:

Must try some next time :lol:

I occassioanlly give mine the sprouts themselves, so assumed this was ok :)

They can be as fashionable as you like, I'm still not eating anything even vaguely sprout like :lol: They are fine for buns though - just only feed a little to start with and watch out for wind/bloat, as this sort of product can have that affect on buns as well as hoomans!

Hi there. Just to say I am very cautious with brussels tops. My bunny got really bad bloat after these. I probably did overfeed a little in that she gorged the other bunnies' share though even at that, she hadn't had lots and lots.

I have to say that I avoid them now. Shame as they LOVED them

Fiona x

AlisonA said:
They can be as fashionable as you like, I'm still not eating anything even vaguely sprout like :lol: They are fine for buns though - just only feed a little to start with and watch out for wind/bloat, as this sort of product can have that affect on buns as well as hoomans!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
they dont taste like sprouts, the taste like cabbage :D
handy hint for anyone that grows their own cabbages etc, when you cut the cabbage, leave the stalk in the ground and cut an X in the top of it, it will sprout lots of smaller leaves just right for the buns :wink:

Yeah, I hate sprouts - but sprout tops are as tasty as kale - probably tastier than many kinds of cabbage!

Never heard of them being posh food though! :lol:

Oops! I've just seen this post and I've just posted an identical one in rabbit care today. I too saw the brussel sprout tops in Tesco :lol: and wondered whether they were ok for buns. Was just worried about whether they might give them wind.

Hugs,

Nic n Harvey xxx

Nicola3 said:
Oops! I've just seen this post and I've just posted an identical one in rabbit care today. I too saw the brussel sprout tops in Tesco :lol: and wondered whether they were ok for buns. Was just worried about whether they might give them wind.

Hugs,

Nic n Harvey xxx

:lol: great minds I guess!!

Well I'm going to try mine on them, but just a little bit at first, they have had sprouts before without any problems so I imagine it's much the same.

I will not however be trying them myself however posh they claim to be!

Back