• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rex boy biting O/H

andic

Mama Doe
(Apologies .... this is a long one!!) My last post was well over a month ago when I introduced our gorgeous new addition a rex boy (who incidentally has been named MONTY! Montgomery when he is naughty!!!) (I think this is the link to the post http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/v...ostdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=rex&start=0).

he has settled in really well as a house rabbit but about 2 weeks after we got him, he started biting my o/h for no reason whatsoever - his ears goes back and he runs at him possessed (Monty, not my boyfriend lol)!!!
OH shares the feeding and holds him, talks to him etc. so I don;t understand why he is going for him. He bites him on the ankles, also goes for his arms if he is reading the paper and ignoring him. so whether he has attention from him or not, he bites.

Monty was neutered last week, so hopefully the problem will disappear, once his hormones have calmed down. But at the weekend, he bit me, when I was stood next to my boyfriend. (ouch that REALLY hurt, probably because I wasn't expecting it).

Do any of you have any ideas how we can stop him biting oh (or me for that matter!!). At the moment he is in a massive pen in the living room made out of the Agros Storage cubes, so he still can get the exercise he needs. Do not worry i will not be giving up on him, however long it takes we shall conquer the problem!!! but I just wondered if anyone had any advice .............
Thanks in anticipation

Andrea
x

It can take several weeks for hormones to settle afetr nuetering so it may well improve by itself. Other than that its mainly lots of time and patience - and bribery! A few tasty vegetable nibbles when you go to see him should help him associate you with good things!

Hi thanks for the info!
Patience will get us there in the end!
Thanks for the useful link - there are some very good tips!

Andrea
x

You might want to get his teeth checked too. Pain can cause changes in behaviour.

And I once read that if you give a little squeal when they do it, they realise they are hurting you. Although, this doesn't work with Calel, my biting bun. In fact, I'm pretty sure it makes him smile. :shock: :lol:

Failing that - oven gloves & wellies :thumb:

Back