• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cage or no cage?

at the moment Bracken & Frida have a large pen each in the kitchen

we move in Jan and they will be sharing a room which i will divide down the middle

when divided they will get 8'x5' each.

frida has a small cage for her litter tray and to snooze - the door has been removed and she has permanent access to the pen.

bracken lives under the kitchen table (dont ask :oops: ) - with a pen attached to front (basically i just fenced off the back and sides leaving front open)

i think she enjoys having some cover so im unsure what to do when we move. i was thinking of getting her a large dog cage (for litter tray and snoozing) and removing the door so she has permanent access to her side of the room. i will put a shelf in the cage too.

now....is this a good idea? or would it be better just to leave her without a cage so the space is continuous?

and if i do get a cage, what size?

Will they have 24 hour free range of this 8 x 5 foot area? If they do then a cage size is irrelevent as a hide is really all they need. Could you bond the two together, that way they could have a lovely area to live in?

Hi Sarah
Audrey and Rowan (rexes) only have a 36inch dog crate- its small, but they are never shut in it. Its a good size just to put their food, bed and litter tray in :)

(When Im out they have an area roped off with the argos grids.)

no way they will ever bond sadly!

i was thinking of a cage so i could use it to form part of the barrier - so im not sure of a cat carrier

but i have decided to get a cage the size of frida's which is only two and a half foot long (dont worry she isnt locked in it - only has a litter tray and bit of vet bed in it)

the cage for bracken would only be for a litter tray and a bit of vet bed too,

anyway, if i get a cage the size of frida's and the same height, then i can use the 2 together to put all their food etc on

Back