• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

baytril biscuits

kate

Warren Scout
I read a post a while ago about making biscuits for pets to make giving medicine easier... there was a recipe but I can't find it when I search... (and I'm not actually certain if it was on here or on a rat forum!!)

I think the ingredients were mostly digestive biscuit & banana (and baytril/ whatever medicine), it was rolled into a ball mixed with the liquid baytril. Anyone any idea?

Are digestive biscuits ok for rabbits & do you think this is a good way of giving medicine, or is it better mixing it with a liquid, apple juice or something? Jack's prefered way is with mushed strawberry but they're a bit out of season just now!!

Thanks!! :D

I usually put some on a small piece of brown bread, let it soak in, roll the bread up then soak apple juice over the whole lot.

Seems to go down well :lol:

No ideas sorry but it sounds brilliant! I'd be very interested if anyone does know. I only wonder if it may interfere with the absorption of the medicine though... :?

Jack's Jane would probably be the best person to ask - she's a true rabbit expert! :D :thumb:

I am a bit confused .... are you meaning making biscuits adding baytril (or other medicines) to their ingredients before cooking them or adding it when they are due their dose?

I would avoid cooking any medicine as it can change its active ingredients or even inactivate the necessary ingredient you are wanting to give.

I do the bread thing too. Mine definitely prefer high quality granary bread, and the spoiled brats get it, too. It is important to experiment to get the ratio of medicine:bread right - too much bread and they don't eat it all at once, too much medicine and it tastes too strong....

Lucy

I am a bit confused .... are you meaning making biscuits adding baytril (or other medicines) to their ingredients before cooking them or adding it when they are due their dose?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear! I meant adding it when they are due their dose to a ready prepared biscuity-thing (from what i remember they were supposed to be kind of soft/squishy), not adding it before cooking :D.

I'll try the bread idea :D, it sounds like something Jack would like!!

Thanks!!

havent ever given to a bunny but with the rats i used to be mean and have 2 syringes 1 with meds, 1 with watery jam. i would put the jam one in a couple of times and squirt just a little jam, then put a teeny amount of jame on the end of the meds one put that through and when they bit it squirt the meds in their mouth (obviously didnt put much in at a time - didnt want them to choke) just done that two or three times then finished with an extra bit of jam.

i suppose mashed wtaery bannana would do the same trick though. but alsways finish witht he nice one a)to take the taste away (baytril tastes vile -yes iv tried it :oops: ) (septrin is nice though :oops: :D) b) encourages them to bite/lick the syringe again

never had any trouble getting meds into my ratties this way :D

BTW Kate, that digestive and banana mixture sounds lovely, I might have to try that myself :p

Im on a diet so everything sounds nice :lol:

i always mix baytril with either apple juice of a little baby food. if the dose was small enough you could put it on a cereal type treat (somthing dry that will soak it up...bite sized shredded wheat works wel!)

I usually make porridge with antibiotic sauce :lol: Just soak the medicine up in a few dried porridge oats until it has all soaked in. The buns are usually so excited to be getting some porridge that they don't notice the icky medicine.

Back