• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits sat out in petshop ???

jay

Mama Doe
I went into a petshop on sunday and in the corner were two bunnies, one sat half asleep and the other grooming the first one - they were large fawn coloured lops. They took no notice when I went up to stroke them - they seemed oblivous in fact which I did find a bit odd. There were lots of people crowding round them to stroke them when I first went in. They really didn't seem bothered. What worries me is if someone had come in and hurt them accidently or on purpose and what if someone had come in the shop with a dog who thought they were lunch? I didn't speak to anyone about it as the shop staff were very busy and anyway I wasn't sure how I felt about it. Oh and I was served by an 8 year too which was also very odd?! :?

It does sound rather odd and certainly doesn't sound quite right.

I was in my local pet shot (they sell animals but they are in a good condition, large enclosure, sexed etc..). Anyhow to my point, I happened to be in there when the local environmental heath officer (I think that's who he was) was doing an inspection, he was particularily interested in the rabbits in the shop. The rabbits here are all benind plastic / wooden screens but there is a small gap (just a couple of cm), where the door is, he was most concerned by just a small gap as children (or adults) could fit a finger through. To be honest I think he was more concerned about the finger getting bitten than the rabbit, but there you go...

So they were just sat out with no protection, just in the open shop?

If that is th case it doesn't really sound right. Surely they'd be scared to death and not to be moving around much it does seem abit odd.

Yes, just sat in the corner of the shop not in a cage or surreounded by any protection. If they'd chosen they could have hopped out the door. Or if someone with a dog had come in they would have had nowhere to go! Anyone could walk up to them unsupervised and picked them up or done whatever.

That does sound wrong and a health hazzard and rabbit endangerment. Could you try speaking to the pet shop owner? or maybe the local RSPCA? or council?

Back