• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

manuka honey?

For use for abscesses etc, my understanding is that you need a minimum of +10 manuka honey, the 'normal' manuka honey that they sell in the supermarket hasn't been shown to have the same antibiotic properties as the stuff called +10 (or a number higher than 10) - so if you want it for abscesses/infection control, do make sure you're getting that one. :wink:

AlisonA said:
For use for abscesses etc, my understanding is that you need a minimum of +10 manuka honey, the 'normal' manuka honey that they sell in the supermarket hasn't been shown to have the same antibiotic properties as the stuff called +10 (or a number higher than 10) - so if you want it for abscesses/infection control, do make sure you're getting that one. :wink:

:thumb:

Janex

my mum is a nurse and she says the hospital often uses bandages treated with the honey but as above it has to be a certain grade. she said that for open wounds/ulcers etc it should also have ben steralized

I have heard some brilliant successes with people packing absesses with high grade manuka honey on another forum!

I used it for a while, but found that it makes the surrounding skin very sore:( It is an option, but use with care, trying to keep it inside the wound if possible. You can suck it up into a 1ml syringe if you are patient which making getting it in there more accurate.
Any honey should help as the high sugar content means that an environment where bacteria can't survive is created. The manuka also has extra antibacterial properties apparently making it the best kind to use.

Back