• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Doe-Buck + Doe-Buck = a Group of 4....???????

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry, its the bonding wuss again.. :oops: :roll:

Having read Phill's thread about bonding her four Buns I have been thinking of doing the same. Trouble is all my bonded Buns are in B/D pairs (except Muirne+ Katie). So that would mean having to get two unrelated adult Bucks to accept each other :shock: :shock:

Phill's foursome is 1 Buck-3 Does which I believe is a more 'natural' grouping :?

So is my idea of bonding some of my pairs a non starter :?
However would I go about it? :? :?

Gawd I need a drink and a valium just thinking about it!! :shock: :shock:

Any advice, including DONT DO IT!!, welcome :D

Janex

Jane bonding two males is much tha same process as two females, i have one 2 b 2 d group, You just do it all in the same way, although i would introduce the two males first and pick your more placid males

Phill said:
Jane bonding two males is much tha same process as two females, i have one 2 b 2 d group, You just do it all in the same way, although i would introduce the two males first and pick your more placid males

Thanks Phill

IF I get the Bucks to accept each other is it best to introduce both Does to them at the same time?

Janex

Are you trying to make more room for new bunnies, Jane? :D

I would just try it, let them see and sniff each other, but with a barrier in between. See which pairs get along best. That's all I can suggest.

Jack's-Jane said:
Phill said:

Thanks Phill

IF I get the Bucks to accept each other is it best to introduce both Does to them at the same time?

Janex

Yes, that way there are an equal number and no one bun to pick on

I’ve got groups of 3 unrelated bucks and a doe/2 unrelated bucks and 2 does.

The first group took a while to settle down as the doe in the group is a bit feisty but they get on great apart from the occasional mad moment. The 2-bucks/2 does group was one of the easiest bondings I have ever done. They literally sat next to each other as soon as they were put together and started scoffing hay!

I would personally put all of the rabbits you want to bond together on neutral ground. If you bond the boys then add the girls later you will end up going through the whole bonding process again.

Good luck! :D

Louise

Hi Jane - I have no wise words but am very interested to hear how you get on - I am a bonding wuss myself, trying to psyche myself up to do it, so any information on how it went, how you managed to find neutral space, how much fighting went on, ANYTHING - please include a minute-by-minute account, and I guarantee you an avid reader....

Lucy

I do hope you get on OK!! I'm a bit of a wuss too, though only at home I seem perfectly capable at work! I've only ever bonded male + female together so I'm no help, just wanted to say good luck! If Amy gets spayed today I'd love to try with her and Princess (Princess already neutered) but I'm such a wimp I'd be scared Princess would hurt Amy!!!

Nicola

Hi Jane,

Well in my personal experience all was fine with my b/d pairs and they lived happily for 4 months. Poppet got taken ill (1 of my bucks) and went to hospital for 2 days (as you know) well from then onwards my two boys will not accept each other they totally hate each other so I am just in the process of spending another £250 on a shed for it to be split! :roll:

If you have alternative accommodation for if things go wrong then I say go for it, if you dont then consider things more carefully.

Although there are many success stories on here too just me thats unlucky :lol:

GOOD LUCK :D :D :D P.s once you bond 1 group there will be no stopping you you will get the bug and keep trying new groups :lol:

I have a feeling that Sally Spacegirl has recently successfully bonded 2 unrelated buck-doe pairs :D I'm far too much of a wuss to try it, but I guess if it means some of your buns can have bigger pens and more company, then it's probably worth a try :thumb:

Yep, I did :D
I had one bonded pair that had been with me a while and I got another bonded pair from Eve. I basically just put them all in together at the same time and observed. I have to say that neither of the bucks were really that bothered at all. It was one of the does that did all the chasing and mounting. But once everyone had got the message that she was top dog they were all perfectly happy. It really only took a few hours :D
It was lucky that there was only one really dominant bunny in the group but Ireally would be happy to try it again. They have been together now for a couple of weeks (I think) and no problems at all - it really is worth it to see them all out playing together or snuggled up :D

Go for it Jane!! Two pairs living together can work really well. Like others have said introduce them all together in a neutral place and let them get to know each other. I was worried about the boys meeting as well, but it actually was the girls who were more stroppy about the whole thing to start with, but they all get on fine now and live with another trio of two girls and a boy.

Jane! i'm disappointed that you are only talking about bonding four & not say 30!!! :wink: :lol:

I have (hang on, need to count) a bonded 9 - made up of 2 sisters, 3 unrelated females & 4 unrelated males. All are neutered/spayed except baby-bun girl (really young/small)
I can honestly say that my hardest bonding jobs were getting female No 1 in with the other girls & getting the 2 sisters back together after a spay!! :lol:
Flint did briefly fall out with everyone, but is back in the group & happy now. Boys are easier than girls!!!
Especially your lot, as presumably they can "smell" other buns around anyway?
Tis addictive though - having a big group of bunsters pile on you at teatime :love: :lol:

Back