• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Home Bunnies....support please

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
hia i am really fed up with some peoples views of bunny "cruelty". This rude woman told me that I shouldn't have my rabbit indoors as "they should be out in the fields not indoors". I calmly informed her that its HARES not domestic bred rabbits that should be out in the fields and that anyone who lets (i prefer the word abandon but I didn't want to get heated - she was rude but not aggressive) their domestic pet rabbit out in the fields to fend for itself is basically sentencing the poor mite to death.

My Darcy loves being indoors and having hte run of the whole flat. He sleeps with me. Hes litter trained and spotlessly clean....more than most cats outs there! I just felt really down at having to defend myself and then started checking Darcy was happy - which he loved as it just meant even more fuss and I don't mind extra cuddles - happy for the excuse.

I'm not really mad or anything just felt a bit upset questioning myself.

awww hun ignore this uneducated person lol! Darcy is well spoilt good to see you are still on here from time to time hun XX :D Any chance of a Darcy pic just so we can double check how happy he is? :wink: :lol:

thanks birdiebun...yeah I didn't take it too badly as she hadn't even been to my home to see him. she was just giving her un-asked opinion. It wasn't nasty or anything I just felt a bit down afterwards. I just read the notice at the top of this page and want to add it wasn't anyone from here!

I will def put up pics of darcy soon! I've taken loads of pics lately as he had his 2nd birthday/adoption day last month and got a new cardboard house. :D We are staying in a rented temp flat at the mo but being moved to a permanent flat in the next few weeks. I only get on the internet now and then in internet cafes, but once we've moved we should be online at home so will upload lots of pics then. :D

Awww there is nothing wrong with having your bunny inside. Mine are on borrowed time :cry: :cry:

my three live indoors and certainly appear very happy. When i do take them outside they do seem to enjoy themselves but the last time i took them out Fifi just ran indoors after a couple of minutes and didnt come back out so i guess she prefers indoors. Personally i think my three get more attention living indoors too rather than being outside as i hate the cold so i wouldnt spend long outside!!

sadly Romy, everyone is entitled to their own oppinion so if this woman feels that all rabbits should be kept outdoors, that is her oppinion, just as yours is about indoor rabbits :wink: Everyone has to do what is right for them and their rabbits so I would not take it personally :wink: Some rabbits really dont like being indoors as much as some rabbits dont like being outdoors. Each to their own :wink:

When I first mentioned at work that I was thinking of getting a bun to live indoors one woman looked at me as if I was an idiot and the worst human alive. I was sooo cross. It really is just uneducated people who probably don't know the first thing about rabbits that seem to have a problem with it.

i think the concept is a bit odd to people who havent heard of it.

I know mine are happy indoors as they are always binkying and tend to stay in even when I leave the door open for them to go out, especially Rowan who has a scamper around then runs back in :lol: .

I do think some buns are naturally happier outdoors though and who knows, maybe my two would prefer to live outside if given the option? They both did before coming to me.

Mine love being indoors! Bundle especially loves flying up and down the stairs! :lol: As we don't have a garden they have never been outside. Their hutch and run is in the garage so during the day they are in there and at night they come in the house. Personally I feel much safer having them indoors as there is no chance of anything nasty (ie fox) getting them, plus we don't have to worry about the weather too much although it does get cold in the garage. I sometimes wish we had a garden so they could play on grass but I honestly don't think they miss it - they seem very happy bunsters! :D

It's amazing how different two countries can be. It's very rare in the US or Canada to find rescues that will rehome rabbits to outdoor homes. Actually, the only national rabbit rescue (with international chapters, actually) is the House Rabbit Society.
http://www.rabbit.org/

My buns live indoors and love it. Nothing makes you say awwwww like a bunny flopped out on your couch!

I'd like to see someone try and put Sophie outside to live :shock: :lol: She hates it :lol:

My two love it inside and like someone else has said they get attention 24/7 as they live in the living room where we are all the time :D

And anyway, sophie would miss her fave programme - Corrie - if she lived outside!!! :lol:

I really miss having Benjamin as a house rabbit now that he lives outside. But he chewed furniture and I'm a bit house proud. Any tips on how to get him to stop chewing furniture? I would really like to have him inside again, and Imogen too. Also we have laminate floor and they just skid on it when they try to hop anywhere.

Nothing will fix the laminate floor except rugs. But I have had some success with rubbing soap on woodwork that the bunnies are interested in. It tastes nasty, and they take one bite, shake their heads, and hop away all disgruntled. You have to be part of it too though and train him to understand the word no and watch him while he's out.

i tried with previous bunnies to have them indoors and they hated it, i felt really bad when it gets cold and theyre just stuck in the garage. Buzz (my current little monster) comes in all the time, he thinks he owns the place, but now we have all the guineas indoors im not allowed the rabbit in! i had to explain to someone about my guineas being inside, they thought i was mad, but then people have dogs and cats indoors, why not rabbits?

There's nothing wrong with house rabbits at all, its lovely.

I think some people are surprised more than anything because the conventional idea of a rabbit is of being outdoors in a hutch.

everyone has different opinions. I have trip inside at the moment and when I told someone at work they looked at me like I was so stupid!

But when I told someone else at work that I had my bunnies outside, she said I was cruel to keep them locked up outside. Even though she knows they have access to large runs all the time and play in the whole garden every day and get lots of time inside.

I dont let it worry me when people say anything to me like that. I know my buns are happy and spoilt and thats all that matters :D

I would LOVE to have Jacob as a house-rabbit, but my OH is very weirded out by the idea :( As kaskaskia says, I think it's just because for him, the conventional picture of a rabbit is outside in a hutch.

I don't doubt that you have one very, very happy rabbit Romy - don't let one misinformed person bother you :D

I've had SO many people saying it's cruel to keep my bunnies indoors but what I always say is think of how much more space and exercise they're getting by being indoors all the time! If they were outside they'd be in a comparatively small hutch most of the time, whereas indoors I can leave them in large areas where they can run about freely. I also say how much more interaction time I get with them - imagine in winder in the miserable weather, you wouldn't necessarily be able to go out to see your buns, whereas indoor bunnies are always with you for several hours each day.

Ignore this silly woman, she doesn't know what she's talking about. :D

AMETHYST

My buns are indoors and love mooching about. Bella gets very haughty when I put her outside in her run and runs back into her carrier each time I go into the garden!

Until you've seen a bunny indoors, it does seem quite a weird concept. I think most people just think of bunnies in hutches pooing everywhere. People are always amazed when they see mine whizzing about the house, but can see how content they are and litter trained (well mostly!).

Back