• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP / ADVISE - Bald Patch

Good Morning All,

I'm hoping one of you will be able to advise me!

I noticed yesterday that Dolly had a bald patch, it is right in the crook (is that the correct word?), of her nick at the front. It is really difficult to see and I only noticed this as I was teasing her with a treat last night, and you can only spot the bald patch when she is at "full" stretch. I tried to pick her up and get a close look, but it was really difficult as she wouldn't put her head back for me (well it isn't exactly a natural thing to do), well I managed to get a little look this way and the skin seems quite pink, but there are no sores / scabs / moisture and there is still some fluffy fur there, and the skin seems a normal kind of soft. I really couldn't get a good look as I didn't want to stress her out. I "teased" her a couple more times at full stretch (you really can only see it at full stretch), and I would say the bald patch is about the size of a 50p. I'm not sure how long it's been like that as she wouldn't normally stretch quite this far, and there is no way you can see this area with normal hopping about and handling.

Has anyone else experienced this? The only time I've experienced this is with our cat, and when a chunk of fur has suddenly dropped out and this has normally meant an abcess (due to a fight).

Should I rush her to the vets straight away (it will be difficult for them to see the gap - I doubt she will be obliging), or should I just monitor it closely? Is there anything else I could or should do? I feel sorry for the little girl she is so lovely, and has such lovely soft fur.

She lives on her own so it can't be a result of a fight.

I've rambled a bit, sorry...

Is the fur under her chin moist? If so she may have a dental problem.
Are the toe nails on her hind feet patricularly sharp. Could she have nicked herself when having a scratch?
If she seems well in herself and the area around her mouth/under her chin is nice and dry I'd just keep an eye on the bald patch and make sure the skin does not become inflammed or broken

Janex

Thanks Jane, there doesn't appear to be any moisture under the chin (this was one of the first things I checked) and she had her teeth checked about 3 weeks ago when she had her VHD jab (could this be the cause - althoug it isn't where the jab was?).

I will keep a close eye on it, to make sure it doesn't get any worse or that the skin becomes sore.

Thanks for the advice.

Hannah

Evo gets this. It never relates to whether he has a dental problem or not.....her has it all the time. Vet has tested for all parasites, mites, ringworm etc - nothing. The patch is about the size of a 5p, right under his chin. Then skin is always pink and healthy, and there is usually about 1mm of fur growth there.

Back