• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

toys

willowflower

Warren Scout
hi firstly i apologise if i've put this in the wrong section.

it's just i need some advice on toys for my very unimpressed rabbit dillion (or foot-foot as i call him).

i've tried all the usual suspect like cardboard boxes paper bags with hay and i've spent a fortune on commercial rabbit toys like the rattle ball etc but he doesn't like any of them he just ignores them and continues to look bored.

any ideas anyone????

much appreciated leona

Hiya,

A wild rabbit would spend about 70-80% of it's time looking for and browsing on food. With pet rabbits they munch their pellets in 10 minutes and that leaves a lot of time to get bored! It might seem a bit of a round about solution but changing his diet and the way you feed him might help more than buying new toys.

I'm not sure what you feed him now but a small amount of pellets, a lot of hay and some veg is basically the right diet for a bunny. So, step one, get rid of the food bowl. From now on if he wants his dinner he has to go find it :D Think of it like a treasure hunt, hide the pellets in/under/around the toys or under a pot he has to move. Hang some hay or a leaf of veg up so high he can only just reach when he stretches up. Make obsticle cources with boxes so he has to jump up to get to a couple of pellets. Treatballs are good as they have to move them around to get the food - you can make your own with a small box/plastic pot with a hole cut in.

The idea is it should take him atleast a couple of hours to find all the places you have hidden pellets and veg etc. which should keep him busy and active and stop him becoming bored :)

Another good solution to boredom is a bunny friend ;)

Tamsin

sounds great thanks for the advice. i'll try that

he does have a bunny friend unfortunately he just ignores her as well.
much to her dissapointment ava can be a shameless hussy sometimes but dillion just couldn't care less.

Mine spend hours sat in boxes of hay just picking out their favourite bits. I hide their veggies in plant pots filled with hay too, so they get thrown around a lot. Ruby spends most of her time digging in their bark pit. Just a few ideas.

Back