• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dobbin poorly?? Mon update

Dobbin

Mama Doe
Please help - i dont know if i am just being overprotective but Dobbin is not eating right - usually food would be gone instantly but it is taking him quite a while to eat it - he has hardly touched his hay - in fact i think he has had 5 or so strands. His wee is very yellow, cloudy and gloopy - it isnt sinking through the newspaper. Also his left nostril he has some white stuff coming out of it - looks like PVA glue - that kind of consistency - bit like before but thicker. Also he is not his old self - running around etc - is this normal?

Sorry if i am just being over protective.

Thank you

Sue
xx

Hi Sue, I don't think you're overprotective, you know Dobbin better than anyone and the poor little man has had quite a few problems hasn't he? The stuff coming out of his nose doesn't sound good and if he's not eating much he can't be feeling normal. Back to the vets I would say, hope he's feeling better soon xx

Oh dear poor Dobbin :cry: Sorry Sue I know it's a Sunday but I would call the vets. The white goo coming out of his nose is probably a recurrence of the snuffles, maybe the stress of the past few days, or maybe the anaesthetic has irritated his nose, and has brought on another bout. Have you got any antibiotics at home from the last time? If you have, tell the vet when you ring, as depending on how well he is generally eating/pooping, you may be ok to use that tonight and take him in tomorrow. If he isn't eating well though I'd have thought he may need to see the vet this evening to get some gut stimulant (usually metaclopromide) and start him on a course of antibiotics.

Poor you, you've really been through the wars with little Dobbin haven't you. Hopefully once this episode resolves itself he will remain a happy, healthy little boy.

Please let us know what the vet says xxx

Sounds like Dobbin needs to go back on treatment for his snuffles.
He was neutered recently wasn't he :? The physiological stress of that could easily trigger off his Snuffles again.

The gloopy wee means he is excreting a lot of calcium. Try to avoid high calcium Veg (Kale,Broccoli, Spring Greens...) avoid all alffalfa hay/treats and try to encourage him to drink as much as possible (WATER no Beer for Dobbin!! :lol: )

Janex

oh god - what do i do?

He isnt his self but he is better than he was on Friday and yesterday - should i ring or am i just being overprotective?

Shall i give him a carrot top and see how he reacts?

No i dnt have any antibiotics here - he had them all.

Sue
xx

Dobbin said:
oh god - what do i do?

He isnt his self but he is better than normal - should i ring or am i just being overprotective?

Shall i give him a carrot top and see how he reacts?

No i dnt have any antibiotics here - he had them all.

Sue
xx

I would phone your out-of-hours Vet for advice.
They may want to see him tonight

Janex

he is eating hay now - partner has gone to give him a carrot top.

ok he is eating the carrot top - shall i phone or leave till tommorrow?

Sue
xx

honey, i would phone now and ask their advice. you can tell the vet that he has started to eat hay now, but wasnt before. ask them what they think. they could say that if he continues improving that he will be ok till tomorrow, or they may say they need to see him now.
ring now cos then if you do have to go in, it would be easier now that at half ten tonight.
and it will help stop you worrying :wink:

Ok, well the vet herself phoned me back. She said he had a long acting antobiotic injection on Friday - watch him overnight if he deteriotes or stops eating over night then to take him straight down. IF not to leave it till tommorrow she is happy he will be ok till tommorrow - she said it may have cleared up by tommorrow she said to give him as much fluids as possible and get him to eat hay - how am i going to do that?!

Thank you everybody - i know i am a worrier.

Sue
xx

Hi there. Hope you are ok. Its such a sinking feeling when they get ill isn't it? Its enough to write off the whole weekend for us bun owners

I have found that freshly cut grass is tempting to a bunny who is not quite himself. I think it does the same job as hay. It has lots of moisture too which will help get fluids into him. Just bug him with it until he bites at it and realises it tastes nice. Same goes for hay.

I was told that apple and pear are good to keep tempting them to eat and it went down well yesterday with my sick bunny.

Lots of vibes to Dobbin

Fiona x

I hope Dobbin is a bit better today.

I often find that if Evo is a bit under the weather, he will eat hay if I had feed him individual strands if he won't eat it on his own. Then he gets so p'ed off with me feeding him, he will push my hand out of the way and start feeding himself.

Back