• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - Rooby has swallowed an elastic band

SerenityS

Young Bun
After a big tidy up yesterday, I failed to notice an elastic band on the carpet. Just now Rooby sneaked upstairs and managed to grab it just before I did. After a frantic attempt to retrieve it from his mouth have failed. I am really worried. I have called the vet and all I can do now is to keep an eye on him, hoping he will pass it within the next 24 hours. Has anyone had the misfortune of this happening to their rabbit?

Thanks

Jo

Oh dear :shock:

I would advise you get your Bun to eat as much hay as possible. Try to up his fluid intake by feeding him Veggies that are left wet after washing
Some dandelion leaves would be good for him to have too.

Was the elastc band the old fashioned sort or the new biodegradable ones. If the latter it SHOULD break down in his guts.

Janex

Hello Jane

The band appeared to be of the modern type. I am so annoyed with myself for failing to retrieve it from his mouth. He was struggling while I tried to grab it but he was also trying to bite me. I have been on the end if his bites many times and his teeth are like blades.

The vet said it was too early to x-ray him. I have removed every poop that was in sight and now it's that awful waiting game. I am now going to pop him in his cage and will give him some wets greens as you have suggested.

Does anyone have a rough idea of the time it takes for food to pass through a rabbits digestive system? I would have thought pretty quick considering the amount of poops we see every day.

I will let you know how things go.

Jo

would a dose of liquid parafin help? i know its often recomended for rabbits with a habit of chewing carpet fibers..not sure about elastic bands though :shock:

eeek i would be in a state of sheer panic! hope he is ok soon and poops it out quickly (just watch out for catapulted rabbit poop though :oops: :D )

come on Rooby poop lots for mummy

Transit time of food through the stomach is 3-6 hours. It then goes to the colon and is seperated into indigestible fibre which is passed down the colon and eliminated as hard pellet-poos. The rest goes to the caecum where the caecotrophs are 'made'

So indigestible matter is excreted quicker than the matter that goes to the caecum as the caecotrophs are generally held in an area called the gastric fundus for about 8 hours.
Hopefully the band will be passed with the hard faeces. I would certainly take Rooby back to the Vet tomorrow so as Vet can thoroughly examin her GI tract and feel if there are any obvious obstructions. The particular bit to watch is the bottom part of the stomach (upper-mid abdomen just below the ribs) as that is where GI obstruction often occurs (called the cardiac sphincter)

Good luck and hope Rooby will be OK

Janex

Janex

We had to wait almost 5 hours to see if Rooby was able to poo last night, then success. Relieved to find Rooby still eating, pooing and his usual self this morning. Going to the Vet for a check up to be on the safe side.

Jo

Thank you very much for your support.

I took Roobs to the Vet this morning and upon examination of his abdomen everything was as expected. The Vet said to monitor him for a week and get in touch should he show any signs of discomfort. He is totally oblivious to our worry :roll: He is quietly waiting in the kitchen under the dining table for his 'boyfriend' to come home (my son) from School.

Jo

:lol: at the suggestion of stress counselling - stress levels were very high and have eased off a bit now. No signs of an elastic poo, I am spending alot of time looking in the litter tray analyzing little brown balls, just in case, but he is eating and pooing well. There are definitely more hazzards in the house for buns, it was very unfortunate that the band was the same colour as the carpet. Rooby has bitten off several buttons off the remote controls, in particular the ones I use regularly. When Roobs went on holiday to my sister's I warned her not to leave anything on the floor. She later discovered her boots had suddenly acquired a nibbled look around the top edges :shock:

Back