• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Catflaps

Jonny

Warren Scout
Just bought one yesterday in B & Q. Intending to fix it to the side of the shed so the buns get access to the run on demand.

Will they use it instinctively or will they have to be shown how to? And any suggestions on that front would be most appreciated?! :?

Depends on the buns :lol: Some just get on with it, others need assistance. I drilled a small hole in mine and have it attached to a piece of wire which runs along the flap on the outside and up the shed wall - I actually leave it open all the time; they know how to use it but it's right next to the neighbour's house and the catflap was annoying them when it kept bashing all night :lol:

I'd suggest propping it open for a few days (maybe jam something stable that can't be knocked over or pushed out the way under it) so they get the idea of coming and going, then close it and see what happens!

Malibu just started using the catflap as soon as she came home. But trip has never used it. I have never tried showing him though because its actually for the cat and he doesnt really need to but Im sure they could be shown how to

Dougal used his nearly straight way (with some vegges as an insentive)
Mhairi, well had to prop it open for her for the first week, then she got the hang of it.

ive got one with a plastic door (like tarpaulin) some of mine were confused but they all follow suit :lol: i think if they are inquizative enough they will get the hang of it :lol:

Back