• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone had experience in this area....?

CuBar

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, We are currently (since last night) looking after my aunt's 6 month chocolate lab. (he's gorgeous) But i dont think I thought through properly how to introduce my house bun Cuba and the dog :roll: I just assumed they would be great friends as she told me he was fine with rabbits, cats etc..
When he arrived last night cuba was a bit scared but then so was the dog. We haven't actually let them meet face to face, but just through the cage. Cuba seems very interested and nosey, not worried about her but the dog seems VERY interested and gets very exited and starts whining when she moves. I think he thinks its a toy but one that runs, fast. :shock:
I dont want to not be able to let her out in her own territory, she came out today but the dog had to be shut in another room, not really ideal for the next two weeks!
Has anyone experienced this before? I dont dare risk letting them loose together just in case he tries to..you know..eat her!!!! :shock: :shock:
She comes first but I dont want the next two weeks to be a nightmare!!
Please send me some suggestions :roll:

Start by having the dog on the lead and letting the rabbit run around,do not just let them together you could end up with a hurt bunny, labradors are big dogs!
See how the dog is on the lead do it a few times a day then let the dog get closer to bunny and see what happens
It might work out ok,but then again it might not :?

Personally if it's only for 2 weeks I would keep them separate. If he is acting like he wants to play then I would say its only a matter of time for you to get confident that they're ok, leave them alone for a few moments and then something dreadful to happen.

I don't want to put you down and if this dog was for life I would be advising differently but I don't think its worth it for 2 weeks.

Hugs

Shiv

hi

i have a dog and two rabbits and i have to keep them seperate at all times my dog is fine with the rabbits it's the other way round i have problems with my rabbit is aggressive towards the dog.

i agree if it's only for 2 weeks i would keep them seperate it's hardly ideal but i've tried everything to bond my dog with my rabbits and sometimes you just have to admit defeat.

Back