• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur rabbit

I saw that in the latest Rabbiting On
I would have thought a 4-6 weak course would still be needed in an active infection :? :?

Janex

sorry if this is a stupid question :oops:, but what is panacur?

when it says in the link it should be used for rabbits 2 - 4 times a year, is that for all rabbits or just ones at risk??

thanks!! :D

Well that's the million dollar question I reckon!

Panacur is a wormer for dogs and cats - in the past it has been used as a 30 day course in cases of infections with e.cuniculi in rabbits, and also shorter courses for active worm infections.

So this is the same stuff but formulated specially for rabbits by the look of it, and it does seem that they are implying 2-4 times per year for any rabbits, because the info does then go on to specify increasing frequencies for those at risk. We have had discussions in the past about routine worming of rabbits and the previous consensus has been that some people do it but most do not. Maybe with the advent of a specific product for rabbits, more people will do it more often...time will tell I guess :)

hi A i have been adised by nomerous vets not to give panacur unless there is active EC, and a single dose for worming. i am now using these methods.

a friend who has two bunnies that had actve EC was given the paste to use althought it is very expensive in comparison to the liquid form, but seems easier to applicate!

My vet said there has been a lot of discussion recently about giving a 28 day course of panacur to all rabbits that come into rescue because of the high percentage of rabbits that carry EC. There is a bit more mentioned about it on the RWA website http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/ecuniculi.htm

E. cuniculi infection is (probably) so common that some vets feel that there may be a case for treating all rabbits just in case they are infected. Others argue that such a small percentage of infected rabbits go on to develop problems, that there is no need to treat unless problems actually show up, even if they are known to have been exposed to E cuniculi. Be guided by your rabbit-friendly vet, but appreciate that the whole issue is fraught with controversy and opinions are changing rapidly.

I asked my vet about using it on Audrey and Rowan as a precaution and she said she didnt think it was necessary.

This new product says to use for 9 consecutive days. Will this be sufficient where an EC problem is definitely present?
I am trying to decide whether to buy this or just the usual suspension.

The nine day dosing 2-3 times per year is preventative, the rabbit should still be dosed for the whole 30 days if infection present, thats what the rep said anyhow!

Back