• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help required please bunny losing balance

Truffybuns

Warren Scout
Hi guys, Truffy was quiet yesterday but this morning I went to clean her out she was very uncooordinated with her back half. Didn't eat her breakfast which is so unlike her and she fell over to her right side. Taken her to the Vets who gave her a anti-inflamitary (? spelling) and anti biotic injection. She has pro-boitic which I need to syringe into her but she has still not been to the loo as far as I have seen. She has drunk some water and had a bit of hay. Anything else I can do? It is so frightening seeing her fall over when she is trying to walk around.

Teresa

bunny falling over

Hi truffybuns :) sounds like your bunny has HEAD TILT :( did your vet do any blood test to determine what was causing her to "fall over" :? It could be caused by a number of things the main ones being E.C. or pastruella :( the good thing is she is still eating :) I think i would take her back & ask for bloods to be done (if not done already) then you can start treatment for whatever is causing this :( try to keep her in a small area padded with towels so that she doesn't hurt herself & so that she can stay upright :( I hope she will be O.K. for you.

Sorry to hear your news, well done for getting her checked out.

Did the vet suggest what they thought was wrong with Truffy? My guess would be one of a few options a spinal problem ... has she jumped off anything in the past few days and possibly injured her back? The other options are an ear infection or even a brain infection, treated with anti biotics.

The important things you can do to help Truffy are to ensure that hydration and nutrition are maintained, the other important consideration is maintaining a safe enviroment. The main thing you can do to help Truffy would be to restrict the area which is accessible and to ensure that no further injury will occur. No stairs, no objects to bump into.

I think it would be advisable to ask your Vet to start treating your Bunny for EC (Encephalitizoon Cuniculli-info here http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/ecuniculi.htm )

I think you need to contact the Vet again NOW to request a gut motility stimulant (METOCLOPROMIDE) as you need to keep her guts going whilst the other treatment kicks in.

You also need to be syringe feeding her Critical Care/ Supreme Recovery Liquid feed- about 20ml every couple of hours. If she is an outdoor Bun you need to bring her in.

I strongly urge you to contact the Vet for the gut motility meds and also ask about having some PANACUR to treat for POSSIBLE EC

Please let us know how Truffy gets on

Janex

Sorry I have no experience of this, I would just like to send some healing vibes to Truffy, :love: and hope she gets better soon, well done for getting her to the vets :love:

Thanks internet slow so taking a while to respond. The vet mentioned a disease that caused bunnies to fall over to one side and struggle to find their balance. She seems to be trying to eat small bits but she hasn't been to the loo which is worrying me most. Have given her a bit of pineapple juice (I was advised to by Vet) and she has had some veg but she is obviously unhappy in herself. I have a appointment booked for Monday but obviuosly don't want to leave it if there is anything I can do to help her

It certainly sounds like head tilt. There are two causes and the best thing to do is treat for both. This means anti-biotics and panacur and an anti-inflamatory - usually metacam. And you need to keep her eating and drinking.

It may get worse before it gets better, but don't be scared to keep treating her. It is not a painful condition, she is just very dizzy and can't get her balance. Giving her something to lean on will help, and make sure she is in a place where she can't get her legs stuck in anything if she rolls.

Some rabbits are left with a permanent tilt, but they manage quite well. Others recover fully.

It sounds as if you need to get back to the vet tomorrow and make sure you get meds to cover both possibilities.

Thank you for your reply the Vet seemed to think she would get worse before she is better. She seems to be eating better at the moment but seeing her fall over is horrible as it is distressing her. She means the world to me and her bf Archie I just want to do the best I can.

Truffybuns said:
Thank you for your reply the Vet seemed to think she would get worse before she is better. She seems to be eating better at the moment but seeing her fall over is horrible as it is distressing her. She means the world to me and her bf Archie I just want to do the best I can.

The Buns I have nursed with severe middle ear disease causing them to fall over have benefited from having STEMITIL. Maybe you could ask your Vet about this too

Janex

Thank you Jane for your advise. Have just tried to syringe Truffy with some more probiotic which she moaned about which I am taking as a good sign. If she is angry she is fighting whatever it is!!!! I will take her back to the Vets in the morning armed with the advise I have been given.

Truffybuns said:
Thank you Jane for your advise. Have just tried to syringe Truffy with some more probiotic which she moaned about which I am taking as a good sign. If she is angry she is fighting whatever it is!!!! I will take her back to the Vets in the morning armed with the advise I have been given.

Has she poo'd at all yet? If not she really cant wait til tomorrow for some Metoclopromide to get her guts going.

Janex

She has just had a squiggy poo :D :D Sorry never thought I would be happy about smelly bunny poo before!!!!! Litter training can be forgot as long as needed! (she is litter trained but is obviously struggling to organise herself) Will keep up the observation and if there is any change for the worse will phone the Vets.

Hi Teresa ,

definatly could be e cuniculi . If it is you need panacur . the sooner you start it the more chance of recovery . we have known some buns recover fully from this if treatment is started quickly .

Archie should be treated for it too as i passess on through urine .

if it isnt that the treatment wont do any harm so you might as well try it .

good luck

Angie

bunny falling over

Hi tereesa :) If this makes you feel any better (hope so) I have 3 bunnies with head tilt :( all came to me via my vets b/c their previous owners did not want to treat them & my vet knows that i will try my best to give them as normal a life as possible :) Black bess has been with me for 2 years :) apart from a few sneezy periods :( she has been fine :) Harvey has been here for a year & april 18 months :) all have been tested pastruella postive (the reason for their tilt) they have varying degrees of tilt :( april being the worst but she is with a partner (precious) & is happy with life :) so don't give up on your bunny :) she may have to adjust to a "different" life BUT she will alright as long as she has the correct treatment & you to love her :)

Hi there. Just to say hope your bun and you are ok. I am treating my four buns with Panacur at the moment as one of them developed a slight head tilt and tested positive for EC antibodies on a blood test.

Hopefully your bunnies can start that treatment too when you see the vet.

Thinking about you. They are such worry makers our bunnies!

Fiona x

Back