• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What kinds of indoor cage do you have?

loubylou85

Young Bun
Brief history of our situation....
We have 2 house buns, they have an indoor cage, but they are never closed in it - they always have the run of the large kitchen / diner, so the cage is really just a v.generous sized toilet. :)

We have sold our house and are buying another, and after many a drama along the way, we finally thought things were all straight. Now at the eleventh hour, it looks as though there is a possibility that we may end up having to move all our worldly goods into storage in 2 weeks time, and we'll be having to find a place to stay for perhaps 3 weeks (what a nightmare at xmas time) :( . Luckily we have family locally who we can dump ourselves on, but we need to work out what we can best do for the buns.

I don't want to restrict the buns to too small a space, but they will need to be kept 'caged'. I have looked about on the net at pet pens, so that the cage they currently use could go inside it (to retain as much familiarity as poss) - but it would need a secure roof / top on it as Olly is an extremely good jumper! It would also need to be a reasonable size to take their currrent cage and still allow room to run around - but without being so huge that anyones bedroom we end up squatting in will take it!! Olly has just had a few days of being confined to a 2nd indoor cage afer having had an abscess around his ear canal lanced....and by the time he had perked up a couple of days after the Op....he was soooooooo not happy :x with having to stay in there all of the time.

I could try and work fast and look at getting them used to a different toiletting cage/recepticle/box/tray/anything.....but I don't want to stress them anymore than necessary! (Olly's still not forgiven his Daddy for taking him for all of the antibiotic jabs he's had to have! - still loves me though cos I just give him snuggles afterwards :lol: )

A bit of a dilemma!! :? What types of indoor pens / housing does everyone use? Whatever we buy will come in handy when we finally get moved in, to allow us the time to get them used to their new surroundings gradually - but we would be planning to let them go back to free roaming again as soon as they are comfortable in their new surroundings. That being the case, I would prefer not to pay out a fortune for something, but at the same time, if I can find something perfect for the job - I think I'd be fairly happy to pay a reasonable amount.

Any suggestions :?:

I dont have a indoor bun, but a lot of people on here use dog crates.
They look Fab to me. :thumb: :thumb:

m
xx

iv got 48" dog crate (with pen but mine is permanent :wink: plus mine are shut in all night) would recomend 100% nice and roomy for my 2 and folds relatively flat :D

just found a pic of my setup

22-Oct-2006011.jpg

just to give you an idea

I've got a 48incher (woo hoo) I think somthing like cheekytikki's would be a good idea if space is limited. I've just got the cage but mine spend alot of time with free run of the front room.

harvey has a ferplast 120 but this is open all the time so hes only in there when he chooses to be or when we go to bed (he goes to bed then too anyway!)

he loves his cage and uses it religiously for litter too

The buns current cage is 38x18x19 inches - but like I said they only use it for toiletting. We do have a 2nd indoor cage which is slightly smaller and was used for our guinea pig at one stage.

I have looked at some of the dog crates, and although they are bigger than the current cage they use they didn't sound like they were that much bigger to warrant the cost. However, looking fully at some of the dimensions - I suppose that 49"L x 30.5"W x 33.5"H is actually about a foot larger in all directions! On the one hand I like the fact that these don't tend to have the deep tray base like the indoor cages we currently have as I often worry about someone catching their legs when they are leaping in and out. At the same time though - the deeper trays keep all of the toiletting on the inside!

I had thought that maybe a pen would be a more suitable alternative because they are often in sections to allow you to make the area the size / shape you want, and we could offer them a bigger area to run around in. The only show stopper though is making sure we picked one which had a good secure top/cover on it and which they wouldn't be able to demolish/knock over/sqeeze under!

We had had Olly for about a year we got Phoebe from a rescue sanctuary. When they first came home together after being bonded by the sanctuary, the only thing we could find to 'fence' off a smaller area around the cage was some large cardboard boxes. We stripped them down and made the 'fence' but the following day, found Olly had leapt over the top even though it was about 3ft high. Olly's used to leaping up onto our bed which is probably about 30in high....and he has no trouble whatsoever. :p

anohter good thing with crates is the fact that you can easily put in a shelf which doubles floor space, although mess isnt held in it is easily sorted by putting a litter tray (or storage box with one side cut down) for a toilet and just having newspaper/vetbed/fleece on the floor. i bought my pen here http://www.croftonline.co.uk/ (it is a showman puppy pen) and it is good as you can buy separate panels to make pretty much any size pen you want, they even sell 4ft x 4ft panels to use as a roof (if you had loods of space you could easily have a 4ft x 8ft pen with 2 4 ft x 4ft panels as a roof, the panels are very very strong and you can even get them with doors, drop down sides etc and you can buy hook and eye fastenings which make it quick to take apart (to allow my buns to free range i remove the pen top and attach it to my window as they can get to my windowsill and worried they might jump out, i then completely reemove one side of the pen and store it behind the cage, i do this every morning and put it back together every night and it only takes a few seconds each time :D)

hope this helps

Thanks cheekytikki - I'll take a look at those. At first glance looks like it could be a good combo between the dog crates and the standard pens.

I used to have a 5 ft. by 3 ft. (approx) glass cage with mesh wire top, that was 8 yr. ago. Only use it for my first bunny--Big Fat Bunny. Since then, all these bunnies have been hopping around the house on their own.

My indoor bun has a pen like the ones in the links people have provided. She sleeps in a cat bed has her litter tray and carpet samples. I only shut her in at night and when we go out.

Back