• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What's the real risk?

buddabun

Warren Veteran
I'm getting my little nethie spayed next week and i was wondering what the risk of anaethesia was since rabbits are so small anyway and she's only a tiny little girl.. when I had my mini lop done they said he'd be fine but it's a simpler, shorter op on a larger bun and there was still a risk.. I just want to prepare myself in case there's a real risk she won't make it...

any thoughts?

I was so worried when I had Pickle neutered three weeks ago. Can understand how you feel.

Even more so when I wasnt allowed to take him home that night as he was under observation. He came back late the next day and was ok. Had to keep him in until stitches out ten days later as he had a few problems with the wound area but he is totally ok now!!

Now he is the same little bunny he was and getting a girlfriend in a week or so, so tis a good thing :D

aww poor Pickle!! I realise there is always a risk and I'm not going to quote anyone or anything, I just wanted to know how much of a risk there is...

As long as you have a vet used to performing the procedure it's very very small. The risk is mainly in the fact that the rabbit could have an unidentified medical problem that leads to complications e.g. a heart problem or liver/kideny problems.

Do feel free to ask your vet how many rabbits they have lost during the procedure, they shouldn't mind you asking at all - they know owners worry. It's probably no more than a handful at most and in most cases they can identify a reason such as above for it to have happened.

I'm not sure that there have been any counts which is why it's hard for people to give you a number but rescues routinely number hundreds of rabbits a year and they are still shocked if they loose one of those.

Tamsin

I know how you feel, Amy has to have an X-Ray on Tuesday and while she is under they will more than likely neuter her too. She is a dwarf bunny (though bigger than a Nethie) but I'm so worried I'll lose her.

I was talking to my vet about it and she said it's very rare, luckily my vets do lots of bunnies so I know she is in safe hands + they have operated on my other bunnies too. As my vet said though it doesn't seem so rare if it happens to you - very true!! She understood my worry + realised I hadn't got her spayed cos I was so worried - my hands are forced now though as she needs an X-Ray so perfect time to spay her too if they can, so I don't have to go through the worry again!!

I hope everything goes OK for you next week.

Nicola

thanks for the reassurance guys. i did ask teh vets if they've doen netuering before and they have but they're the only vets in a village so jsut how experienced they ar ei dont know. id ont have a car so theyre the only ones i can get to... will let you know on weds what happens!
fingers crossed for little jackie

Ive had hundreds of rabbits done, and im convinced theres hardly any risk if you have a good vet. The only time ive lost a rabbit is if i used a stand in vet. Experience in putting small animals under is vital. val

Back