• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male buns getting bad tempered after neutering?

How did your male bun's temperament change after neutering?

• Didn't notice any difference

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bun got friendlier/better tempered

• Bun got more aggressive/bad tempered

• Total voters

AlisonA

Warren Veteran
I'm having a discussion on another forum and two people there have both said that they wouldn't have a male bun neutered again, because last time they did, their buns turned from being placid and lovely, to becoming aggressive and bad tempered. One of the people also said she knows of several other male buns who got very aggressive after neutering.

All the buns I know of, plus all the rescue ones that I know of, have never had this problem, so I was just wondering how many of you saw a negative change in behaviour after neutering your male bun?

Anyone got any observations as to why this may be a problem? Could it be to do with the neutering or handling technique used at the vets?? :?

It's always been my perception that male neutering is simple, straightforward and rarely gives any long term problems, so I though a poll might be interesting to see if people agree or not?

The buns I've had neutered have all either been better, or not changed. Never noticed them getting worse.

Saw no change in Robbie..but he was always soppy and he occasionally gets grumpy (just looks grumpy and ignores you rather than agressive bites) soon gets over it!

I think Snoopy got a bit grumpier, but then he also gets older, and I did not know him very long before he had the OP. My first male rabbit did not get neutered, because back then vets did not do that. He was always very friendly and cuddly. His girlfriend was the grumpy one. My second boy is very shy, but not too grumpy, my mother says he's quite ok with her. He is neutered. Again, his girlfriend was the grumpy one.
Penny has not growled at me so far, not even put her ears back and tried a pseudo attack like Snoopy sometimes does. Especially when he's hungry. But I get grumpy when hungry, too. :lol:

Hann was much better behaved after :D He didnt attack me nearly as much :lol:

Rowan hasnt changed, he was always a good boy :)

Im sure their expereinces are the minority as thats one of the plus points of neutering surely? ie) less testosterone= better behaved bunn.

with birch and me or bunnies he was no different. he has always been a bit soppy. what i have noticed since is he will not tolerate the cats AT ALL in the bunny house! the cats arent allowed in there, but sometimes sneak in whilst i am with the buns, but they get charged out by a growling bun! he has taken chunks of fur out of them before now :roll:

Pickle has been neutered three weeks and he seems to be the same little bunny that he was before he lost his jewels :lol:

Coffie showed no change in him at all. Only thing that changed really was the hutch smells less. :thumb::D

m
xx

Only thing i noticed with Simba was that he eventually stopped buzzing round my feet and humping my arm! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is really interesting - would anyone who has voted that their bun got more aggressive/bad tempered, be prepared to elaborate a bit more? What happened, did they literally go from being lovely to being grumpy? Was the bun then subsequently bonded? Would you do the same thing again (i.e. do you think your bun is happier snipped and bonded, albeit bad tempered, or would you seriously think twice about getting a male neutered again?)

perhaps those bunnies neutered at a young age just have a natural personality change as they mature..so it seems to have happened post neuter :? ...they might have been even worse if left intact?! :shock:

honeybunny said:
perhaps those bunnies neutered at a young age just have a natural personality change as they mature..so it seems to have happened post neuter :? ...they might have been even worse if left intact?! :shock:

I think that is very likely!!
Crikey, can you imagin what a grumpy castrated Bun would be like if he were left 'plums intacticus'......... :shock: :roll:

Janex

Barney got even more effectionet after his op :love: I'm hoping the same next week when Benji goes in :D

No change in Marlon, he's been the same friendly little fur baby since the day I got him.
I'm inclined to think it's a natural change at adulthood that just coincides with the usual time of neutering too.

Snoopy has only become a bit more territorial inside the hutch. He sometimes growls when I reach for the food bowl or when I stroke Penny. He attacked my OH a few days ago, but he was wearing his big scary gardening gloves that probably smelled of something evil. :lol:

harvey has turned really grumpy since his bits started to drop if you get me - grunts when i put my hand in to get his bowl or for a stroke. never bitten yet the the insident with the ted makes me glad that wasnt my hand in there - (put a teddy in just now and he went for it lol). hoping he will calm down alot once hes neutered.

Fudge has been very aggressive since his op, I was wondering whether he could have suffered some kind of brain damage during it :? I didn't notice any change in Splodge or Treacle though

When we first got him, Olly would lick my forehead if I laid down on the floor next to him. But if we brought our guinea pig into the house for snuggles and Olly caught sight of the OH with her, he'd get very jealous and start getting naughty and aggressive. Had him neutered and the naughtiness stopped, but unfortunately so did the loving-licks :(

Have to work quite hard to get licks from Olly now, it takes quite a bit of ear rubbing to get just a lick or two, and then he comes straight back demanding more rubbing! And he has never licked my face since the Op...only my hands.

So maybe it can work both ways - sometimes at the same time :?

Back