• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

From eating loads to hardly anything!?

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hi there,

I'm wondering what I should do...

Alice stopped her antib's last week for her abscess that she had, she's doing really well and it's looking like it's gone for now.

Anyway, Alice has gone from clearing her veg bowl 3 times a day and eating dry foor to hardy eating anything. It's as if her appetite has gone, she used to run towards to bowl and start eating as soon as I put it in her hutch but now she just sniffs at it. This has been a gradual thing over the past day or so. I have made an appointment at the vets tonight but I'm wondering if I need to ask for her to have a Metaclopromide injection?
Alice's poos are a normal shape but they're smaller and less of them. I've given her infacol and tummy rubs just in case it's wind but this hasn't done anything.

Alice's eye is also quite runny again and her nose is a bit snotty. I gave her some Bisolvon yesterday and will ask the vet to look at her eye. Again, this has started over the last day or so. Could it be the damp weather?

The reason I ask is that I have to see a different vet to normal and this one is a complete nightmare. Everything is put down to the fact that she's an old bunny and this vet seems to think that we can only "keep her going" rather than make her better!! This is the same one who gave Benny his Myxo and VHD jabs on the same day!

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gemma

Oh Crikey I have only just seen this!!
Where was Alice's abscess?
I hope that the Vet will give her a thorough examination and then prescribe appropriate treatment for any pain she may have and some metoclopromide if necessary.
Do let us know how she is and sorry to have been late in replying

Janex

Hi there,

Thanks Loopylop for the bump!! :D

Jane, thanks for your reply...Alice's abscess was at the base of her ear where it attaches to her head wrapped around and inside the ear canal. At the moment we're keeping the hole open as a drainage point, this is probably going to be permanent. It's stayed very clean and all her hair is growing back, so you can hardly tell.

We've been to the vets and Alice has had Metaclopromide, she is also on painkillers now and Baytril and Exocin eye drops. Poor Alice has a nasty infection in her eye and there were little white flecks of pus inside her eyelid. They think this is causing pain and why she's stopped eating. We've liquid fed her this evening and I'm just about to go and check she is ok and give her some more feed if she hasn't eaten. We've got another appointment tomorrow morning with the vet that knows Alice well so I'll feel happier in the morning. We just need to get her eating tonight...

Alice is very grumpy in herself, so I know she'll be ok. I just panic when this sort of thing happens because of her age and the fact that she only has the one eye left!

Thanks again,

Gemma

Back