• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harry is home, UPDATE I'm Not sure if he is OK. Advice Pls

julia.julibob

Warren Scout
Harry is home after his neutering, and is ok. He hasnt eaten or drunk since his return, but at the moment I am not too worried about that.

My question is, Harry does not have stitches, but they used tissue adhesive. I keep catching him licking it :? :( How can I stop or discourage him????

Also, can I hive him (if he will take it) Nelson's Arnica 6c Pillules to aid healing??

Julia

Many of my Bucks have licked their balls a lot after castration... :oops:

So far none have come undone. Are Harry's Balls ( :oops: ) very swollen? If so he may need more anti-inflammatory meds.

Just keep a check on the incission site. Try to distract him from licking by offering some tastey treats.

Not sure about the Arnica but my Vet always seems to advocate its use.

Janex

Cheers Jane! I have used Arnica with my dog after castration, on the vets recommendation, and I have been using it for years. I just didnt kn ow about the useage with Bunnies

Julia xxxx

Aw bless him! I expect he's quite sore which would lead to him licking. Like Jane has already said try distracting him with some tasty stuff!

Many of my Bucks have licked their balls a lot after castration... :oops:

So far none have come undone. Are Harry's Balls ( :oops: ) very swollen?
Oh and Jane you put a smile on my face everyday!! :D

Having not had a rabbit neutered before I dont really know what to expect.

Harry just sits there, and I am having to feed him water by holding a bowl in front of him. He has only nibbled at a SS pellet, although he had some basil last night. He is still doing lots of poos, but they are becoming smaller and smaller. Is this normal, or should I be worried.

I dont want to rush him back to the vets for them to say it is nomal. Please advise me.

Julia xxxx

I don't know if the same chemical can be used, but when my bunny Goofball has the spay, the vet spray some chemical on the stitch, and that chemical discourage her to stick her nose near it. The chemical spray can be purchased from the vet. And it was sprayed on her shaved area.

Also, during post-surgery, you need to tempt him w/ lots of treats for the next few days.

julia.julibob said:
Having not had a rabbit neutered before I dont really know what to expect.

Harry just sits there, and I am having to feed him water by holding a bowl in front of him. He has only nibbled at a SS pellet, although he had some basil last night. He is still doing lots of poos, but they are becoming smaller and smaller. Is this normal, or should I be worried.

I dont want to rush him back to the vets for them to say it is nomal. Please advise me.

Julia xxxx

Have you had a look at his balls ( :oops: ) to see if they are very swollen?
Sometimes a haematoma occurs which would make them feel very sore
I would call your Vet and ask for advice. Maybe another shot of Metacam for pain relief and some metoclopromide to keep his guts going until he is eating normally
Try to tempt him with Veggies and Grass/Dandelion leaves. He may not wat his pellet feed for a day or so but as long as Veggies and hay are going in and he is pooing he will be OK

Janex

Hi there. Hope your boy starts to munch again soon.

My bunnies usually can't resist watercress, rocket and parsley when they have had an op. (I'm saying that but I have got one who is currently refusing it :oops: .)

Just a thought! Hopefully he will back to his old self soon.

Sending vibes

Fiona

P.s. The watercress I get is from Tesco (99p or so for a bag). I don't mean the stuff that grows in a pot...is that cress too? Although the buns seem to like it too.

Back