• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD and Myxi Outbreaks Warning- last updated:1.11.08

Beebop

Warren Veteran
Hi,

I thought it was a good idea if everyone could add all outbreak areas on one post to prevent them from being lost as they get pushed down.

Of course, first and foremost I'd like to highlight the importance EVERYONE should have their rabbits vaccianted whether or not they are in an affected area as sadly many of us know all too well how vunerable our bunnies are to these diseases and theres no guarantee that just because your area isn't listed that it isn't infected. Please see this link here and get them vaccinated ASAP if they haven't already done so this year: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/vaccination.asp

VHD areas so far are:
Aberdeenshire
Cheshire
Cumbria
Dunfermline
Edinburgh
Kent - *** 6 recent deaths as of 1.11.08***
Manchester
Moray
Perth
East Sussex
Bishops Stortford / Stansted
Wales (North, Wrexham)
Wales (south)

Myxi areas so far are:
Aberdeenshire
Angus
Banford
Barnsley
Bedfordshire ****VERY HIGH RISK AREA (2009)****
Bedhampton
Belfast (N.Ireland in general from the sounds of it)
Berkshire
Bishops Stortford / Stansted
Bristol
Bushby
Cambridge
Cosham
Cornwall
Cumbria
Darlington
Dorset
Durham
East Dunbartonshire
Essex
Featherstone
Glasgow
Gloucestershire
Hampshire- Gosport and Fareham
Havant
Hertfordshire
Houghton-le-spring
Inverness
Kenilworth
Kent
Lancanshire
Leicestershire
Lincolonshire
Manchester
Milton Keynes
Moray
Newcastle
Norfolk
Northumberland
North Wales
Nottingham
Pembrokshire (Wales)
Portsmouth
Reading
Scotland
Shropshire
Southampton
Stafford
Stourbridge
Surrey
Sussex
Swindon
Teeside
Wales (south)
Waterlooville
Waltham Abbey
Wiltshire
Wolverhampton
Worchester
Yorkshire

Please pm me if you know of outbreaks in your area so we can keep this list updated. As it makes life so much easier than having to check this thread, as being a student, I don't always have time or remember!;)

Thanks
Sarah and buns xx

Last edited:
I was just speaking to my mum who lives in Stafford and apparently their local paper has reported several cases among pet bunnies in the area. :cry:

elaine said:
I believe denton in Mcr has a outbreak

elaine

Bundle said:
I was just speaking to my mum who lives in Stafford and apparently their local paper has reported several cases among pet bunnies in the area. :cry:

Can either of you tell me whether its VHD, Myxi or both? If not I'll make it a general area for either. :wink:

My vet told me myxi is bad in the Reading area this year and theres also an outbreak close to Loughborough (Leicestershire) i've been told.

cavysrock said:
that is close to me aswell

Well if you'd vaccinated your rabbits like you've been saying you would for the last 8 months you wouldn't need to worry. Please get em done asap hun :wink:

Actually if you're in Derbyshire cavysrock, then Barnsley is very close to you too :( Barnsley's just down the road from me too. Jacob is going for her myxi jab on Thursday evening, now that she's old enough to have it done.

Just spoken to O/H's sister and there's a myxi outbreak in Barrow-in-Furness (Cumbria). Vets are cashingin on it too by charging £40 per vac :shock: :shock:

Back