• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet waiting rooms

Suzanne

Mama Doe
I hate dog owners who allow their dog to sniff my bunny box when I'm in the waiting room!! Whenever we go to the vets there is always a barking dog or a dog that wants to see what's inside the carrier. It really annoys me as it scares the buns. The owner then just looks and smiles as if the dog is doing something good, they don't seem to understand that the bun is already frightened without having to see some dog's big nose poking through the side :evil:

Yes, I agree. Actually I often think it would be good if the vets had a couple of evenings a week or even certain times where they only see small animals. As you say, it's stressful enough for them going to the vet but when they can sense dogs and cats it makes it 10 times worse!

Donmt you have seperate areas at your vets? At ours as you walk in its the dog area, then u go to the desk, but then the other side theres a Cat & Caged Animals waiting area.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Defo's Agree!!!

Some dog owners REALLY dont care!! They dont seam relay their dogs barking and noise shuffed into a carrier can terrifie a Rabbit quite a bit.

m
xx

I agree Suzanne, it really annoys me!

I always move the carrier away pointedly.

Debs, my vets has a tiny waiting room so no space for difference areas.

I pop the carrier under the chair, invariably someone enquires what's wrong with my cat :roll: and when I say it's a rabbit they act soooo surprised that anyone would bother bringing a rabbit to the vets

My rabbits are used to dogs so there not really bothered,they dont like it if there really noisy dogs ,but if they come near the carrier the rabbits usually try to say hello :lol:

i think that would annoy me too but people round here seem to keep their dogs on a pretty short lead at the vets (including me when we take our dogs i always make them sit or lie down by my feet) teegra is terrible when he goes to the vet though, i used to take him in a wire carrier with a thick towel over it and as soon as we got to the vets he would start tugging at the towel or digging at the vetbed until i lift the otwel up then he sits there and stares at everyone and if anyone goes near his carrier he goes over to say hello :lol:

At the first sign of a dog moving towards the bunnies I normally say "can you keep your dog away please as the rabbits are frightened"..people are always ok about it! :D

Well having taken my mums dog to the vet twice in the last month I must say people round here generally seem pretty good. I think it's rude not to keep your dog under control in that situation.

The other day one lady was stood outside in the freezing cold for well over half an hour as she had a huge rottie x and as there were already 2 small dogs in the waiting room she didn't want her dog to cause a fuss. :D

I know how you feel about the rabbit not cat thing, we had that with "it's a rat not a hamster" - interesting whan your on a bus or in a taxi! :roll: :lol:

I have to agree with Bluebunny, my buns don't bother about dogs at all and always come to say hello. However my Vets does have a seperate waiting room for cats and rabbit owners can use this also.

Oooh it's one of my pet (pardon the pun) hates. People let their dogs sniff or slobber all over the carrier, and then say "oh he won't hurt them, he's very friendly". I always make a point now of telling them that the rabbits don't know that, do they? That doesn't seem to occur to them :roll:

My vets waiting room is small, and I hate it when I have to take my two to the vets as they are not used to cats, dogs, and they look terrified, when a dogs starts barking, I wish there was a seperate area for smaller pets

AlisonA said:
Oooh it's one of my pet (pardon the pun) hates. People let their dogs sniff or slobber all over the carrier, and then say "oh he won't hurt them, he's very friendly". I always make a point now of telling them that the rabbits don't know that, do they? That doesn't seem to occur to them :roll:

I completely agree! Generally I have had good experiences but can think of two occcasions when a dog owner (whose dog has been right up trying to sniff my carrier) has said to me "Don't worry, she won't touch " and I have had to say "Yes but my rabbit knows exactly what your dog could do".

I've also had "Oh fancy that, a little rabbit seeing the vet" Eh hello? :shock: At which point the vet nurse stepped up and explained how complex rabbit care is and how they are as much entitled to veterinary care as any other animals. Thank goodness I was ready to lose the plot!

Fiona x

Thank god for that Vet nurse!

People assume 'cheap pet shop animals' should just be left to die and then replaced easily :roll:

Towsbuns said:
My vet doesn't do dogs - just cats and small furries - great...

Mine too shows what great vets we have Towsbuns. :D

On the other hand i use a different vets for my dogs and never let them say hello to anything in a carrier in though they are used to small furry's and cat's.

bluebunny said:
My rabbits are used to dogs so there not really bothered,they dont like it if there really noisy dogs ,but if they come near the carrier the rabbits usually try to say hello :lol:

I hate that too! Everyone just seems drawn to them, they have to look a my 'cat'! Oh, its a rabbit. Then I get OMG there's two of them! Like they are taking over the world or something!

To be fair, most of the dog people at my vets are quite nice, I've not had any bother from noisy/nosy dogs!

Back