• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Am I worrying over nothing??

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
I've been giving the rabbits their pellets at 1.30pm-ish for the last week (I'm not getting to sleep til around 7am cos of this bloomin cough so I'm getting up late) and I was running even later today cos I had a vets appointment, so they had they're pellets at about 3.30pm. Everything was fine, they both started running round as soon as I went in there and raced over to the bowl and started eating.

I went out tonight to give them their veg and clean litter trays etc (I was out there from about 9.30-10.40)
Normally when I put their veg down they both come racing over and start eating but tonight Poppy wasn't interested. She seems to just want to lay down alot... flat out.

Is she ill?? What do I do??

Maby she's a bit gassy :?
Can you feel her tummy?
How does it feel?
Do you have some infacol to hand?

Does her tummy feel bloated and hard?
If it does, you could give her some tummy rubs and get her to move about this can help shift any gas in there. Infacol will help too. Think it's 1ml every hour (i think i'll go look)

I'm not really sure what it should feel like, it doesn't feel hard - at least I don't think it does :?
No I don't have any Infacol, I was meaning to get some but I've not been out for a week where I've been ill. Sorry I'm having abit of a panic here :oops:

try giving gentle tummy rubs like nicole said, i had to do this to teegra when he had stasis and it really helped him (he really enjoyed it to!)
hope poppy feels better soon

I have never had a rabbit with gas, just going by what others has posted.
Some rabbits with gass will lay down and press their tummys on the floor. some will just flake out. Usualy it comes on quite quick.
You could still try and rub her tummy and see if that helps.
If you are really worried I'd call the vet for advice.

I'll give the tummy rubs a go first - I'm going to embarrass myself and ask how to do it, do you just sit them on a table / bed etc and put your hand under them to do it?? :oops: :oops:

with teegs i just sat with him in my lap with my hand underneath him on his belly and gently massaged it, he wriggled a little at first but i think he was only shifting so i was rubbing the sore bit becasue within a few seconds he stretched out and nearly went to sleep. after about 10 mins his belly really started gurgling (he was not pooping at all) and within 5 mins of being back in his cage he had pooped about 10 little raisins. i would do it for as long as your bun is happy to let you do it (no point forcing them)

good luck fingers crossed it helps (if in doubt ring the vet though - buns can go downhill very quickly)

cheekytikki said:
(if in doubt ring the vet though - buns can go downhill very quickly)

I think that's why I'm more panicky than I would be if it was one of my rats :?

Thanks for the advice, I'm off to give it a go

Seems I was worrying over nothing :oops: :oops: :oops:

I turned the computer off and went straight out to start the tummy rubs... and found Poppy sat on top of the hutch munching away on some broccoli. I stayed out there with them for a while and she was definatly her usual self. I was soooo relieved!

Thanks for the advice :D

Back