• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do I stop Weedie chewing his foot after amputation?

Bundle

Mama Doe
For those of you who know, Weedie has come home from the vets after having his foot amputated :cry: he's doing really well - eating, weeing and pooing already which is great :D BUT every time he thinks I'm not looking he's having a sly chew at the stump :roll: Does anyone know if there's anything I can put on it to stop him as I'm worried to go to bed now in case he damages it overnight.... I'd thought about some sort of bandage but am worried in case he eats it :shock: For the moment every time I catch him I'm distracting him with food or picking him up and cuddling him but obviously I don't really want to spend the whole night watching him! I've already had two sleepless nights worrying about him and am absolutely knackered! :lol: Any suggestions welcome if you know of anything I cold maybe wrap it up in to stop him chewing it.

Awww, bless him. I have no ideas I'm afraid, but hope he feels better soon, the naughty rascal :D

Maybe you could use a buster collar when you are not supervising him. I don't think they are ideal for rabbits as they prevent them eating their caecals pellets but if its not kept on him all the time, it should be ok. At least he wouldn't be able to chew it which he may do with a dressing and air can still get to wound to help with healing. :D

I presume he's had a painkiller at the vet, it might be worth having a word with them and seeing if they can give you anything extra. although it might just be intchy rather than painful and bunnies do like to chew :roll:

The vet can also give you tape for dressing the wound. It's usually a sticky sort of bandage that sticks to itself but not the fur (and comes in lots of colours). A sock might work if it will stay on.

A buster collar is the other option, for small animals they are usually DIY jobs made from x-ray film. A circle with a smaller circle (to fit around the neck) cut out the centre a a line cut from the outside to the centre so you can curve it to make a cone. The sticky tape used to keep it in shape. Again your vet can make you one or may have premade cat sized ones that might fit.

Tam

Hi. Awww poor Weedy. sorry for being nosey but why did he have to have it amputated?

I'll happily knit him a special sock! Just let me know if you'd like one.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies but there was no need to put anything on him, he was a good boy and didn't chew it :D We've been back to the vets tonight and he has been given the all clear - the vet siad it's healing nicely and the fur is even starting to grow back and he only had it done on Wednesday.

IsabelM you're not being nosey! :D See my other post "Healing vibes needed :-(" that explains it all. Basically he's a resuce bun that was found being kicked around by a bunch of kids - his foot was stamped on and crushed but the injury only became apparent after I'd had him a week and the bones started to knit causing problems with the blood supply - the other post explains it in more detail. GRRR if I could get my hands on those kids :evil: :evil: but then I'd end up doing time and there would be no-one to look after my bunny babies so it's a good job I'll never know who they were....

Anyway all's well with Weedie - he's doing great now and is a fantastic little guy! :D :D

aww poor little thing. Glad Bundle is looking after him. I can't believe people of any age can be so mean as to kick around a living creature no matter what it is.
I hope he continues in his recovery and if he does need a sock just holla! :D

IsabelM said:
aww poor little thing. Glad Bundle is looking after him. I can't believe people of any age can be so mean as to kick around a living creature no matter what it is.
I hope he continues in his recovery and if he does need a sock just holla! :D

Thanks hun! :D but no need cos he's doing just fine! He's got a forever home with me and just loves his cuddles and nose rubs. Bundle seems to have fallen in love with him now too - think she must have missed him while he was at the vets cos she hasn't left his side since I brought him home on Weds night :lol: :lol:

I'd have to vote for an e-collar, one of those cone-shaped ones. They can be hard on the bun but sometimes necessary, and I've known several people whose buns learned to eat food and even their cecals with the collars on. Others need to take the collars off for a few hours at a time so the bun can eat more easily. But it will definately prevent him from chewing on the wound.

If he really wants to chew it, he'll rip through a sock in no time flat. :?

Back