• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mucous Poos - Help needed

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
Got in from work tonight and little Mack has passed some very mucousy poos, he seems quite bright in himself and is hopping around the kitchen and he is washing himself.

He is on depocillan injections twice a week, eats excel for junios and dwarfs and grated carrot, broccoli and swede, (must be grated because he has no teeth)

Any ideas anyone please?

no idea but i have had a few bunnies that went into stasis after eating swede (i always thought root veg were bad for buns?) so i dont use it at all now

Eve x

Thanks Eve, I don't know what's wrong either, it's very worrying, but he does seem OK in himself, I thought swede was OK for bunnies, cos carrots are a root veg?, maybe it is that, I'll have to watch him and see what heppens, I am just so worried about him

thanks anyway Eve

Oh dear poor little love. Is he having probiotics to help his tum with the antibiotics, could it be related to that :? Hope Mack is ok xx

Hi Alison, don't really know, he's been on depocillan for 4 weeks, since they came in really starved, and he was having injections every other day but now it's down to twice a week, I'm just really, really worried about him, I can't hear any rumbling in his tummy or anything, it's just these very mucousy poos.

I really don't know what to do for him

Is Mack passing normal 'currant poo' too?
When was his last Penicillin Injection?

I would make sure he has a probiotic, preferably Bio-Lapis. I would hold off sugary Veg like swede/carrot
Can Mack eat any sort of hay? Maybe not with his dodgey teeth
If you can find some Blackberry leaves and cut them up for him they will help as Blackberry leaves alter the PH of the guts making it a less favourable environment for 'bad bacteria' to multiply.
I would have a word with your Vet tomorrow. He/she may want to stop the Penicillin injections.

Janex

Hi Jane, these are his normal current poos and they are covered in mucous, he had his depocillan injection last night, but he's been on these for 5 weeks now, he can't eat hay or blackberry leaves and I spinkle probiotic from P@H on his veggies every day and have done since day one.

I am so worried about him, when I pick him up and cup his bum in my hand it makes like a squelching noise, any ideas

My gut feeling is that maybe the penicillin injections are starting to affect the balance of his gut bacteria as he's been on them for a while now :? It's great that he is still bright and alert, but I'd definitely say he needs to see a vet tomorrow. Hope he's ok! xxx

I agree with Alison.
I think maybe he needs to stop the Depocillin...... :?

I wonder if your Vet would think prescibing Cholestyramine (QUESTRAN) would be a good idea :? It is meant to 'mop up' the enterotoxins before they are absorbed by the gut :?

How is his hydration? Fluid will be lost readily in the mucous so dehydration can happen.

Hopefully your Vet can help. Do let us know how Mack is today

Janex

Hi Jane, Mack seems OK!, a few soft poos overnight (didn't go to bed til 2.30am!!), but not much in the way of mucousy poos this morning yet!, he is drinking and eating and washing and hopping around the kitchen, so at least I have hope.

Bad news is that my rabbit savvy vet is on a day off today....I'm gutted and it's no good taking him to any of the others because I probably know more than them and I know very little about bunny illness's, she is in tomorrow.... so now I have a dilemma.... what on earth do I do

I am just so worried about him, he has lost weight around 200 grams, I last weighed him 8 days ago so I think there is more of a problem with him than just an 'upset tummy', I was wondering about ecaniculi (sp)??

snowy said:
Hi Jane, Mack seems OK!, a few soft poos overnight (didn't go to bed til 2.30am!!), but not much in the way of mucousy poos this morning yet!, he is drinking and eating and washing and hopping around the kitchen, so at least I have hope.

Bad news is that my rabbit savvy vet is on a day off today....I'm gutted and it's no good taking him to any of the others because I probably know more than them and I know very little about bunny illness's, she is in tomorrow.... so now I have a dilemma.... what on earth do I do

I am just so worried about him, he has lost weight around 200 grams, I last weighed him 8 days ago so I think there is more of a problem with him than just an 'upset tummy', I was wondering about ecaniculi (sp)??

My unqualified opinion is that he has started to have an adverse GI response to longterm Penicillin.
If he were my Bunny I would get him to the Vet today and request:
1 Questran (see my previous post)

2 Critical Care to try to maximise his fibre intake in the absence of hay

3 Vitamin C supplement at a dose of 100mg/kg daily (may reduce enterotoxin production and absorption)

The mucous in his poo and the 'watery sound' from his belly are really a worrying sign for a Bun on Penicillin and even though he appears well in himself a Vet needs to examin his caecum (large bowel) which may feel abnormal indicating the early signs of imapactation due to the start of Muccoid Enteritis.

I really would urge you to get him to the Vet today, even if the Vet is not Rabbit savvy if you go in armed with requests Vet is obliged to find out if these requests are appropriate.

Good luck and I hope Mack will be OK

Janex

Back