• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sharon (my Kirby foster) is poorly, any ideas?

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Sharon, my Kirby foster was having trouble breathing on Sunday when she was in her run and she has white stuff coming out of her nose (not a lot but a bit), I checked her front paws and she had been wiping her nose, I thought she might have had Pasteurella.

I made everything comfortable for her, I hung a cloth with olbus oil outside her hutch and she has a bowl of porridge everyday (she gets thin) so I mixed an Echinacea tea bag in with it, which she ate.

I planned to take her to the vets on Monday evening, but when I got up Monday, she was breathing particularly badly, so I took the day off and took her in the morning. There was no stuff coming out of her nose anymore and her paws were not that matted on the inside.

The vet is not sure if it's pasteurella, because a culture sample needs to be taken of the white stuff, but there wasn't any to take. I have to get some next time it comes out (there hasn't been any since), but when she examined her, she's got a lump her chest :(

Mel (my vet) said she can operate but her breathing needs to go back to normal first. She'd perked up she's on antibiotics twice a day, I am continuing with the Olbus oil and echincea. Sharon had perked up no end on Monday evening and her breathing was slower (although not normal).

When I checked her yesterday morning she was breathing bad again and she had pressed her face right up to the olbus oil cloth, so I think it was helping her breath. She was no worse then Monday morning though, so I think the damp overnight upsets her chest.

I cover the hutches with plastic sheets at night, to keep the heat in. I'm wondering if it would be better not to cover her up to let the air circulate, but then I don't want her to get cold? I was worried she was going to be dead when I got in from work last night, but she wasn't and she'd perked up again.

This morning when I went to wake her up and move the sheeting and give her, her antibiotics. She again had her face pressed up against where the olbus cloth, but her breathing was a little better and she seem brighter then what she has been in the previous mornings.

She's back at the vets tomorrow night for her check up, I am very worried about her having a op to remove the lump as she is beyond skinny and I'm afraid the GA will kill her :cry: . I am desperate to see some more snot so I can get it analysed, it's all very worrying.

One good thing though she was weighed at the vets and she was the same weight she was when she was there last time (which was when we had that really hot weather in the summer and she had heat stroke), so the daily porridge is working, but she is just skin on bones literally, she scoffs loads of hay pellets and veg too.

I feel really bad as her body is obviously giving up on her, but she wants to live she is happy, bright, always excited to see me, but her whole body seems to be working against her.

Hopefully she should be on septim tomorrow instead of the baytrill, but Mel wanted to try that first and she's ordered the Septim for Thursday.

Any idea's guys?

:( :( :( :( :(

Bless her. I don't have any answers I'm afraid, Tree, but we're sending lots of vibes to your little lady.

Get well soon, Sharon.

Love & best wishes.

xxxxxxxxx

Oh dear :cry:

Sadly a culture from the snot of a Bunny can be misleading and the actual infective tissue is lower down in the respiratory tract. The snot just being an inflammatory respose but not containing the Bacteria causing the infection

Did Mel manage to get a good listen to Sharon's chest? Did she note increased lung sounds?
My Vet always prescribes SEPTRIN as the first abx of choice for Respiratory tract infections as she feels Baytril is seldom effective.
Certainly aggressive abx therapy is needed.
Is the lump on her chest underneath or on Sharon's side?
It may be growing inwards more than outwards and obstructing her chest cavity making it hard for her lungs to fully inflate and thereby setting off a pneumonia?

If Sharon were my Bun I think I would ask if a Chest X-ray could be done whilst she is awake. I would be extremely concerned about her having a GA with a severely compromised respiratory tract. The X-ray may give a better prognosis-ie is the lump a seperate issue ? How badly are her lungs effected? If the lump is nothing to do with the breathing problems I would want her to be on abx for a good 14 days before a GA was considered. Just my 'not a Vet' opinion!!

Poor Sharon... :cry:

Janex

Hiya,

Thanks guys.

Yep Jane she did have a good listen to her chest, but didn't give any indication to what she heard and I didn't ask :oops: . I guess I will know a lot more when I go in on Thusday. I was in such a panic on Monday morning I never asked what I could ask, I was outside the vets aty 8.30 in a tiz :(

Awwww poor Sharon :cry: I can't really suggest anything else either, other than I'd agree to let the air circulate, and provide a snugglesafe if you're worried about her being cold. Santa's snuffles always flares up when the weather gets damp and I think Jay & John have said the same about their snufflers - so maybe letting the air circulate will help, if there is an infection there. I agree with Jane the swab might not tell you much, especially as if she's on antibiotics now, won't that have killed a lot of the bacteria anyway? I find that Santa doesn't have a constantly running nose either, she makes snuffly noises a lot of the time but the blobs of white snot tend to come in 'batches'. My vet tends to use terramycin (long acting injections) as the first drug of choice for respiratory tract infections if you don't find the septrin helps. I guess it's difficult to pick a suitable antibiotic if you're not really sure what's going on :?

Anyway, that seems to say a lot without actually helping much, so I'll stop now. Hope everything works out ok for the lovely Sharon xxx

Aww Tree..poor Sharon..can't add a lot more to what others have said...apart from when was she speyed? And were any tumours found in her womb upon speying? Sadly uterine cancer can spread and one of the things to watch for is affected lungs as this is where the tumours usually spread first :( I'm really hoping it's not cancer and if it's snuffles then it can be controlled...hugs to you and Sharon x

honeybunny said:
Aww Tree..poor Sharon..can't add a lot more to what others have said...apart from when was she speyed? And were any tumours found in her womb upon speying? Sadly uterine cancer can spread and one of the things to watch for is affected lungs as this is where the tumours usually spread first :( I'm really hoping it's not cancer and if it's snuffles then it can be controlled...hugs to you and Sharon x

Good point Jill, is Sharon actually spayed?

Janex

Thanks guys for your help, Alison I will keep her uncovered, I already put a snugglesafe in, so she should be warm :D

No she's never been spayed as she's from Kirkby and they don't spay.

Oh forgot to say, when she had sun stroke before she had white stuff come out of her nose.

Mel had a feel about before down there and couldn't find any lumps, I hope it isn't cancer :cry:

Thank's Jane me too, she is eight years old, so she's an old bunster. My poor ikkle Sharon :(

Awwww mate she will be ok and at the end of the day no matter what she is an old girl - had an extremely happy life so far with you and will continue to be happy as you have always made right decisions for your buns/piggies etc

I think her breathing will clear and it will be fatty tissue cos she isn't poorly constantly and those photos she looks livlier than I have ever seen her :D

Back