• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how long after neutering??

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
How long after a neutering can I add a female to my male bunny? It has been three weeks now since he was done.

A spayed female immediately?
A young female (not fertile?) immediately?
An unspayed female after 6 weeks??

Any advice appreciated!

A spayed female immediately? YES
A young female (not fertile?) immediately? YES- but she'd have to be under about 10 weeks I would think, which is a risk
An unspayed female after 6 weeks?? YES- but only 3 weeks to go :)

Celia told me it would be OK to let the buck in with the intact girls two weeks after his op. Was she being overly-optimistic? :? I certainly can't take on a full litter! :shock:

I personally would wait 6 weeks Jonny, but then Celia's always done 2 weeks and had no problems :)

See what other people say.

mandy said:
I personally would wait 6 weeks Jonny, but then Celia's always done 2 weeks and had no problems :)

I used to say 4 weeks but my vet recently told me 2 weeks. He has never had any problems with doing it that soon and neither have I :thumb: I usually pair them up after 9 or 10 days if they have both been neutered.

sgprescue said:
mandy said:

I used to say 4 weeks but my vet recently told me 2 weeks. He has never had any problems with doing it that soon and neither have I :thumb: I usually pair them up after 9 or 10 days if they have both been neutered.

Is that 2 weeks with intact females?

When I had Hizzy done, I waited about 4 weeks before putting in Bella (unspayed at the time) and they were fine, no problems. Hizzy did hump the floor in excitement before reaching Bella when they were put in together but that all fizzled out when he realised he couldn't do much about it
:oops:

mandy said:
sgprescue said:
mandy said:

Yes

sgprescue said:
mandy said:
sgprescue said:
mandy said:

Yes

It seems like vets quote anything between 2 weeks and 6 weeks so I always say 6 to err on the side of caution. But mine have always been paired up after two cos it's about 5 years since I last had to have a boy neutered.

6 seems a long time for sperm to stay around but I dunno what the life expectancy of it is in bunnies :oops:

Yeah when I had my first boy bun done in about 1998 I was told to wait 3 weeks, but since then I've heard 6 weeks to err on the side of caution. Wasn't it Jane who had a bun fertilise a doe 6.5 weeks after neutering some time ago :shock: Maybe technology and technique to prevent that has moved on now, but I'd still say 6 weeks to be absolutely sure.

I would advise you to play safe and wait for six weeks. apart from the risk of pregnancy, the buck is more likely to have lower testosterone levels and may not bother the does as much.

Back