• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sumi is having a dental today U/D (Sat ) Making progress!

Fionabun

Mama Doe
My little Sumi (Soomy) is having a dental today. He went off his food 2 nights ago and the vet thought he could see a little ulcer on his tongue last night, probably caused by a spike.

I'm worried about my gorgeous boy. He's so cute. He has been so grumpy with the pain and has wrecked the place. Poor lamb

Sumi is Nell's husbun, who also went off her food the other night though she has come round. These bunnies are a constant source of worry :lol: . Three of my four need very regular dentals at the mo.

Here is my mischievous boy

Gorgeousbunnies031.jpg

Aww I love him!

Fiona x

Hi there. Thanks for all your messages. Unfortunately, Sumi is now very unwell.

The dental went fine and rightly he had some spikes which have been burred.

He is completely off his food still, worse than ever. I sort of expected that when he got home yesterday, what with the anaesthetic etc. However, he took a turn for the worse overnight and I thought I was losing him. :(

Today he is very floppy and is lying flat out most of the time. He was lying in his own wee at one point last night. He has the occasional hop about and sniffs his food though doesn't eat. He has cleaned himself occasionally.

My big problem is that he is a nightmare to syringe feed. I am usually confident at syringe feeding, I have done so much of it recently with my others. However, Sumi goes absolutely daft, tears at the blanket, knocks over the equipment, hides and bites.....its awful...so upsetting for us both :cry:

I took him back to the vet as I was concerned that he was in the end stages of stasis. He has produced only about five tiny tiny poos in 24 hours. We gave him sub-cut fluids and more injectable metaclopramide and vetergesic painkiller. The vet thinks his tummy is not gassy. Hopefully it is just his teeth that are hurting still (it was a big burring job) and not something more nasty, though it reminds me of the story of my little Jess who turned out to have a spinal injury.

I have popped him back out with his friends for the evening as he seems to lift in spirits when he is around his girls.

I will give him more metaclopramide and a further painkiller later and will have another go at syringe feeding him too.

The vet witnessed how hard he is to syringe feed and has offered the option of a feeding tube over the weekend (he will stay with the vet) to see him through the worst. We are working on the assumption that it is his teeth/recovery from anaesthetic that is the problem.

Sumi is needing major vibes for lots of munching and pooing tonight! Poor little bunster. I can't face losing him, he is my little monkey.

Fiona x

ON NO!!!! :shock:

:cry:

SENDING LOADS & LOADS OF VIBES

Must be hard to see him like that. Thinking of you both!

(((MASSIVE HUGS)))

m
xx

I have also experienced the syringe-feeding nightmare. I haven't found anything that works magically, but I had one rabbit who sucked down sweet liquids as though she wasn't ill. Have you tried baby food (pureed apples with sugar, for example)? I know it isn't what they are meant to eat, but I reckon anything is better than nothing at times like that. My rabbit didn't like me sticking the syringe in her mouth, but she would suck from the syringe if I held it near her mouth and carefully dribbled stuff out at her sucking-rate.

Good luck to you both

My one did the same thing in the first 24 hr. But that's because the vet didn't put her on a GA, and just cut the spiked teeth. Was he put under during the cut?

Having said that, my bunny Goofball was very stressed too, didn't eat anything, keep taking deep breath for about 24 hr. In the end, I chose to syringe feed her w/ baby food and things work out slowly after the 24 hr. period.

During the 24th to 48th hr., it's somewhat slow progress, but encouraging. So give it time, it could be the stress.

I would take him back and syringe feed him. It's a struggle but on the positive side, he knows he is close to you and know that you wouldn't really harm him. So psychologically, it should make him feel better than to be w/ stranger he never meet.

And definitely lots of his favorite bunny treats.

I know Fiona has had a really hard time syringe feeding her Sumi. She would never just opt for a feeding tube to make her life easy!

This was not in the best intrest of Fiona but for her rabbit Sumi.

Hi. Thanks for replies

Well Sumi took a little veg and fresh grass last night and a little more veg this morning. He also had a nibble at some oats. He seems to be sitting in the same position quite a lot and occasionally tries to push his bottom into the corner as if he is about to do the loo or pee but nothing comes out. He is having Metaclopramide so his guts should be ticking over. Maybe he is getting poo sensations :?: . He has passed a few little poos that I can see, though it is difficult when he is in with the others, who are poop happy at the moment.

Syringe feeding is horrendous with him and I'm just working on the assumption that a little veg and some hay in is better than nothing at the mo. I'm putting some bio-lapsis in the water. He has had sub-cut fluids yesterday and I will take him back for some more tomorrow morning if he is still the same.

I don't think I'll go for anything more invasive (like a tube) just yet if he continues to munch a little. What do others think :?: . I really can't stress enough how impossible it is to syringe feed him. Yesterday I got only 10mls in him and it took over one hour :shock: And at the end of it I had a stressed out bunny (and several nips).I obviously will try if he goes downhill again though.

Is a little better than nothing at this stage for him?

Fiona x

Happy Hopping said:
My one did the same thing in the first 24 hr. But that's because the vet didn't put her on a GA, and just cut the spiked teeth. Was he put under during the cut?

Meant to say, yes he had full general anaesthetic

Fiona x

Back