• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox in our garden

Pepsi's People

Alpha Buck
Important bit first - both buns are safe and apparently none the worse for their experience.
It was this morning when we went to feed Pepsi & Trooper. The fox was looking into their hutch but ran off when we opened the back door. The two buns were huddled together in the hutch bedroom.
They are now back in the conservatory while we check out the security of the hutch / run. They'd only been out 3 nights after a week bonding in the conservatory.
We've kept rabbits in our back garden for 10 years now & although we knew there were foxes about, this is the first time we've seen one in the garden.
Trooper's made up though - he loves his bunny gym - leaping from chair to chair, on the window cill off the window cill. Pepsi just sits and watches :lol:
Unfortunately it can't be a long term solution as it gets so hot in there during the summer.

foxes

SO pleased that your bunnies are O.K. :) I am going barmy with the foxes in my garden :( :evil: I counted 8 the other day (my neighbours been moaning about them too!)yesterday i had just let my orange pussy out :) he won't go out when the foxes are around as he's scared of them :shock: :( heard a rumpus & when i looked out the back door 3 vixens had cornered him :shock: :roll: he jumped onto the fence while they snapped at him (i think they would have killed him if they had managed to get him)I chased them away :evil: using some very colourful language :lol: he didn't come back until really late last night BUT he is alright :) today I checked before i let him out :) no foxes so out he went :) then they came out of the bushes from next doors overgrown garden (where they live) & tried to get him again :shock: :( I have had to keep my bunnies inside as it's too risky to let them out now :( so DO watch out for your cats as well (if you have any) gggrrrr :evil: :evil:

FOXES (update)

This morning I have seen 2 foxes running up & down the street looking for food :( they were about for an hour or so :( then i saw that they had cornered a black/white cat across the road :shock: :( the cat was cowering on ther ground so i rushed out & chased them off :) How long before someone's cat is going to be killed & eaten :evil: :evil: I really am at my wits end with them :( I have spoken to enviromental health & RSPCA none of who wants to know :shock: :evil: all i have been told is that i can hire a MARKSMAN to have them shot :shock: :evil: my bunnies are safely locked away so they are O.K. I won't risk letting them into their run it's just not safe :( :evil:

oh god thats awful, it really sounds as though things have got out of hand :(

Could they be relocated do you think? I realise when this happens new foxes always move in but hopefully the numbers wouldnt be as high, and they may be more wary of hoomans.

Having searched the site and read about all the near misses and worse with foxes we realise that our buns had a lucky escape. Our sympathy to all who have suffered from this problem. :cry:

Rabshan - how do you cope with this going on 24/7? - a whole colony on your doorstep and the authorities fobbing you off all the time. Have you tried complaining to your local councillor or even your MP - that usually gets council officials jumping. :wink:

foxes

HI :) YES i have tried just about every one i can think of :( the only offer was the marksman :( i will NOT be responsible for having them killed :( it's NOT their fault they are just acting normally for them :( BUT they are out of control :evil: I have thought of asking the owner of my neighbours house (it's rented) to try to get them moved from her garden (they have a den just yards from my boundry fence) BUT she likes them & would not be very happy with me if i did :( her house & garden are also running alive with rats which have twice got into my house :shock: :evil: I had no choice but to put out poison as she refused to get the pest control down & got annoyed with me when she found some dying rats in her garden :( :evil: I HATE killing animals but i had to get them out of my house :( I may try & contact the owners (housing trust) to see if they will do something about the foxes & ask them not to let her know about it :) also thinking of putting up WARNING notices for cat/bunny owners so they can take precautions with their pets :(

this may sound harsh, and i apologise in advance if i cause offence but please be careful if you (anyone) tries to relocate a fox.
when i was helping on my friends farm and kept a few sheep there we had the resident foxes, the nabbed the odd chicken from the neighborhood if a coop wasnt shut properly. sad but only the people to blame.
then suddenly there were foxes everywhere :shock: skinny manky little things who were starving :cry:
turns out they were being relocated from towns and cities and just let loose here :cry:
they had no idea how to hunt, they had no territory of their own and were not welcomed by the resident foxes.
i know it sounds terrible but if there are only 2 choices, haphazard relocation or a skilled marksman, i know which is kinder :cry: :cry:
hopefully for the foxes in question though there will be other means somewhere somehow.
also, its not pretty and may not be practical for the cats but electric netting is a godsend! i know we never lost a single hen when we had ours running, and friends have also sung its praises.

another thought that may not be very popular with the neighbor, but perhaps reporting the rats AND the foxes to the enviromental health may offer some other solution?

Back