• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Giant Hutch & Run Ready & Waiting For Giant Buns

Steph

Warren Veteran
Ive kept buns for 20 years and currently have two lovely boys, living in a huge triple hutch with run attached. They also have garden time for free ranging. It has always been my dream to have two giant buns. Ive said before in a thread how much effort Ive put into trying to find 2 rescue Giant buns, but to no avail . Well my hutch is now here and hopefully Ill find the bunsters. Infact I think my husband is plotting something.

This hutch is made of solid timber and took 6 men to put it onto the stand and I had to take a fence panel out to get it in the garden ! The measurements are, hutch 7ft wide, 2ft 10" deep, highest point inside the hutch is 3ft for plenty of head room and stretching. The hutch looks asthough it is sectioned into two but it isnt, there is a huge bedding area and two huge play areas. I have a pic of me actually inside the hutch !

The ramps coming down into the run are wide and made of very heavy timber because of the weight of big buns ! The run is 7ft wide and over 6ft long, height is just over 2ft 6" I have a piece of perspex ordered to put over the run, to keep most of the rain out and a breathable hutch cover being made for me. There are two trap doors so the buns can be shut in the hutch if required and at the back of the stand there are two doors for access. The front of the run detaches for easy cleaning.

The buns will also have a good run in the garden everyday and I have to say this hutch is the same size as my garden shed ! Hope everyone likes it as much as I do. Click image to enlarge. Thanks for looking.

There is a giant rabbit rescue somewhere i have read about it.What sort of giant are you looking for?? I think really the largest bun you could put in that would be a french lop, we had a continential giant for a week last week and he was way bigger than i could have ever imagined and as a baby he would not be happy in a hutch so imagine squeezing one in when it was an adult.

Im really not bothered which breed I have. The hutch is huge I can fit in the one living area with comfort. I did tons of research on hutch sizes before getting this one for giants and I also contacted a reputable breeder for hutch/run advice. The depth and height was my main objective. There is a giant bunny rescue but its right on the coast down south, so too far. Im sure with the attached big run any bun should be happy and lots of free ranging in the garden too.

:D

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I have a large lop in with my rex and I love them both very much. I really have set my heart on giants. All my buns and piggers are rescues from RR and a piggy rescue. I just really would like to fulfill my dream. Im also looking into adopting a couple of smaller buns for another hutch we have had made. I put Mr Chambers and Joey in the giant hutch for an explore yesterday and they looked positively lost ! :lol:

Yes, I can understand you want a Giant, unfortunately not many are in rescue at the moment are they. There's this one

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=6752

I know Kayj waited years for a rescue Giant, as she didn't want to buy one but obviously it's an individuals choice whether to go down that route so good luck with your search, I hope you find your Giants. Keep us posted :D

If you are looking for a small pair of buns please consider Pippin and Merry...Pippin is a nethie and Merry is his son, a nethie x...poor Pippin had dreadful front teeth and has spent his 2 and a half years having the owner clip them....
He came to us a little underweight (not Suprisingly) and is having his front teeth removed tomorrow :D So wish him luck and keep him in mind! :D
Or these 2 gorgeous and mischeivious buns
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=32852

By the way your hutch set up looks great!

I am sure there is a Giant Rabbit rescue down south, I haven't got the wb address but someone on here may have.
Good luck with your search, Like kayjay said I waited years and they are definately worth the wait.
This is Charlie my baby he is one of my Giants I now have 5 all rescues
HPIM0381Charlie.jpg

I tried to contact the giant rabbit rescue in Kent. Never got any reply. I actually don't know anyone that has been able to get a giant from them .. . :?

Back